Carb tuning disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

think I got it!

Greg's care package showed up today. So when I got home I put screws in the carbs and proceeded to sync and tune. Got it pretty good. I should haven't changed to regular fuel from super while doing this as the plugs started carbon fouling REAL quick while idling. So I fogged it down with some seafoam, and did my best to clean it out. That is I turned the tank around, put the seat on it and went out and road it around for 15 miles like I stole it! Seems to run great. Gonna have dinner and drink a beer while it cools and then go check plugs.

Will repost my findings in a bit

Thanks for everyones help. See Joab.... if I can do it, you can too!
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post

Thanks for everyones help. See Joab.... if I can do it, you can too!
      HA! So that means when I do the FD swap, you will be right behind with yours, right?

I threw a tarp over the bike in the garage...I refuse to even look at it until Monday...
      Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
      Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
        HA! So that means when I do the FD swap, you will be right behind with yours, right?

I threw a tarp over the bike in the garage...I refuse to even look at it until Monday...
        I've put the covers on my bike before after a stern scolding! You get a time out BAD BIKE!!!!

I've already got a lead on my 850 FD setup... Just wanna button the rest of my list up then I'm gonna see about tracking one down for next winter project.
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I've already got a lead on my 850 FD setup... Just wanna button the rest of my list up then I'm gonna see about tracking one down for next winter project.
          You might want to wait and see what replaces the R1. If it's a V-twin cruiser, you might want to leave the XS1100 peppy.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            You might want to wait and see what replaces the R1. If it's a V-twin cruiser, you might want to leave the XS1100 peppy.
            Thanks for the shot to the balls there Marty.... Ya I had that discussion with a co-worker today @ lunch. "Will I be able to live with myself having my XS as the fastest thing in my Garage?!"

I'd like to get the r's down on the XS @ 70 to 80 on the freeway which is the speed of every soccer mom in this part of the country. So either I gotta wind up the XS and keep up, or ride with the trucks in the slow lane that are doing 60 to 65...
            Don

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

And then the hail started...

so I tried to read the plugs and I've wompped on them too many times and can't read them very well. So I put new plugs in it and hit the road again.... And then the hail started!!!!!!!

OK we will try again tomorrow, or Saturday, maybe Sunday.....
              Don

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I am buying you a Moped for Christmas Don
                Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I am buying you a Moped for Christmas Don
                  Nice I wear my street bike leathers while I ride it.... complete with circuit rider gloves and GP boots!
                  Don

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Nice I wear my street bike leathers while I ride it.... complete with circuit rider gloves and GP boots!
                    Dont forget a bright orange vest with blinky lights. Safety first!
                    Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

So I pulled the seat and turned the tank around to hook the Sync gauges back up... hey why not I got nothing else to do right now. and played with it some more. I think I got it pretty damn close. I'll mess around with it tomorrow night. #2 plug was pretty black and smelly when I pulled em. So I pulled the light out and look down in there, Hello black carbon mess! I think me and Old Man need some miles with the regular in the tank to clean that one out... the rest are cleaning up fine. that one is being a pain. Of course that's the cylinder I had the broken off stuck mixture screw tip in... So its probably my fault its mad
                      Don

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

So I pulled the seat and turned the tank around to hook the Sync gauges back up... hey why not I got nothing else to do right now. and played with it some more. I think I got it pretty damn close. I'll mess around with it tomorrow night. #2 plug was pretty black and smelly when I pulled em. So I pulled the light out and look down in there, Hello black carbon mess! I think me and Old Man need some miles with the regular in the tank to clean that one out... the rest are cleaning up fine. that one is being a pain. Of course that's the cylinder I had the broken off stuck mixture screw tip in... So its probably my fault its mad
                        That or the fact your wasting precious brew in its presence
                        Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Carb's tuned... bike together. Just put 53.5 miles on it. Runs like a CHAMP!!!! Pulled plugs, everything looks good!
                          Don

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Sounds like it is ready for the big trip now! I bet it will feel good to get out and really stretch its legs after the long hiatus!
                            Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Sounds like it is ready for the big trip now! I bet it will feel good to get out and really stretch its legs after the long hiatus!
                              INDEED!!!! I'm gonna take it out Sunday for a good ride. maybe take the wife somewhere. or maybe just leave before she's out of bed... Which ever
                              Don

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                              X