No announcement yet.

Carb tuning disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might want to poke around in there with something like a sewing needle and scrape off any pieces of the old brass that might be left in there from the old screw. It could intercourse up your adjustment if it falls off later.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      Sharp as a sewing needle aren't they?

The size of the oraface won't make a big difference because the flow will be adjusted with the screw. It will be different from a stock one though.

That's why I cringe when I hear of people counting turns to try and get them all the same. They are all different and have to be adjusted individually.
      It would explain why the carb's were so out of wack tuning and sync wise according to the gauges when I first fired it up.I know my Dad use to take this to a shop for these kind of things. So they must have just fuddled with it till it ran good and didn't tell anyone.

So as soon as your donation gets here I can put it all back together and start all over
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        You might want to poke around in there with something like a sewing needle and scrape off any pieces of the old brass that might be left in there from the old screw. It could intercourse up your adjustment if it falls off later.
        Ya I sniped off a piece of .035 welding wire and went fishing in there with some seafoam. I'll do it again and blow some air thru it before I put it all back together on the bike.
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

It's gonna be worth the trip. These are amazing machines when in tune. Kudos for keeping a great one original. Hope to see it sometime.
          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Poprock View Post
            It's gonna be worth the trip. These are amazing machines when in tune. Kudos for keeping a great one original. Hope to see it sometime.
            Thanks pop...

If it was any other bike... this thing would be up in smoke by now!

I hope to meet other XS'rs in the area soon.

This old bike and I got a history as deep as they come... It took alot for me to drill out that stuck needle!
            I've tried REALLY hard to do nothing to this bike, for fear I wold F something up and be struck by lighting. But the more I work on it the more I think my Old Man laid a trap for me.... I hope to be able to hand this beautiful machine over to my Son in alot better working order than Dad left it to me. But then again, I'm pretty sure he didn't plan on leaving as soon as he did.

Running blind into a bike like this is not a lot of fun... But everyone here has made it alot easier for me to remember that it is "just" a machine. And it needs TLC to keep going. These facts can slip my mind. Every time I have to pull the tank I hold my breath... If I was to drop it, dent it, chip the paint...
            none of it could be replaced...
            Don

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Hey don you might want to replace the automotive type double walled fuel hose for some single walled stuff or you will be pulling those carbs off again real soon when the little bits of rubber get caught in your carbs.
              '79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by trdriver71 View Post
                Hey don you might want to replace the automotive type double walled fuel hose for some single walled stuff or you will be pulling those carbs off again real soon when the little bits of rubber get caught in your carbs.
                Where would the little bits of rubber come from? Don't think they will pass thru the filters I've got right @ the fuel t's.... With very short piece of single wall marine line from filter to t. If rubber gets thru the filter I'll let you know so you can give me a I told you so
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Dump the rubber stuff and go to the hardware store and get about 6' of the clear acrylic tubing. 5/16"

It's a little tough to push on but if you heat it up and stick it on there you really don't even need clamps.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

ok then I didn't see the short piece of single wall in the picture.
                    '79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by trdriver71 View Post
                      ok then I didn't see the short piece of single wall in the picture.
                      Ya its very short. Just long enough to attach filters to t's.
                      Don

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Yammi dealer will sell you clear acrylic. It gets brittle and stiff pretty quick. Best I've found is Tygon. I get 3/16. It helps if you lube the fuel spigots before pushing it on. It is a struggle. It stays in place without clamps, doesn't deteriorate from the fuel, and can be easily removed if needed.
                        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Ya the fella @ napa was trying to sell me some tygon. Looks like cool stuff.
                          Don

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

While the title of this thread is "carb tuning disaster" I must say that it is indeed a saving grace. How else would you know that the carbs were not set or if there was parts needed, or a broken needle jet. Your dad would be proud that you showed enough interest to make it right and keep it running.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                              While the title of this thread is "carb tuning disaster" I must say that it is indeed a saving grace. How else would you know that the carbs were not set or if there was parts needed, or a broken needle jet. Your dad would be proud that you showed enough interest to make it right and keep it running.
                              Thanks man... I'm just glad I figured it now and not a few days before my road trip in june... All the time @ work paying for all the crap for the trip would have been wasted. It would suck to take the cage on a trip planned for a motorcycle.
                              I got reair parts coming. So hopefull by next weekend I can put it back together and tackle the sync and tune again...
                              Don

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Got the carbs back on today and air box, and fuel all hooked back to it. Fired it with the bunk screws to just make sure I didn't have any leaks. Idles pretty dirty with them 2 F'd up mixture screws. but it runs and no leaks I put a good screw in the carb I had to drill the needle out of and can get the minutes of vacuum to change while adjusting the screw. so that is a sigh of relief.

As soon as Greg's care package arrives I can replaced the 2 trouble makers and get back to tuning. See what other adventures lay before me.
                                Don

old:
                                1989 kawi ex500
                                1996 yzf-r6
                                1999 yzf-r1
                                2001 kawi zx-6r
                                2000 Ducati 748
                                2002 YZF-R1
                                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                                X