Carb tuning disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb tuning disaster

So I'm playin with the sync and tune of the carbs and #2 is just being a PITA to adjust mixture... So I pull mixture screw.... BROKEN clean with the hole! Awesome! I'm off to my store to find the right sized pin drill and stop @ the bike shop to see if he has mixture screw. Anyone had any success in removing one without pulling the carbs? And if does anyone have a mixture screw to throw down to a brother if I can't find one local?

All help appreciated
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Nope, they gotta come off Don. That means starting over again.

PM me yor address.....
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

No matter how you go about it, you will need to pull the carbs. Drilling it out in place would put all those shavings in your engine. Pushing it through would put that in your engine. You need to get to the carb throat which means pulling them out.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

The brass or aluminum would really be inconsequential to the engine but the carbs really need to come off to get to the thing as Don said.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I do not reccomend drilling. Try the freeze method and push the tip out
          91 kwaka kz1000p
          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Perfect... K I couldn't find one locally So I went out and Flogged on the R1 for a while to calm down. I couldn't figure out why it ran better the more Vac i took away from #1 and #2 and why 2 kept reading WAy lean @ idle...well that explained it. Greg I'm sending you a PM. Thanks for the help guys. I will be pulling the carbs for my first time so this oughta be an adventure. At least I found out now and not a few days before my trip in June... I feel bad that's I've ridden it the last few years like this. But we'll get it fix right this time.

Thanks again
            Don
            1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Look on the bright side, maybe you just broke the screw off.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Ok guys carbs are off... And the lil tip of that bastard is stuck in there good. So I'm taking a break
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Don

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Wash your filthy hands!!!
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post

Wash your filthy hands!!!

Ahahaha...Greg beat me too it!
                      Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                      Ozark, Alabama

Comment

to bust to wash....

here is what a non broke one looks like

Don

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Yup, just like the one in my hand.

I know a busted one from a good one.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

and we have an open hole....
                            Man that think was stuck in there!
                            Pin drill to my rescue again. What a PITA to get everything lined up... Had to one eye everything and I haven't even been drinkin yet! I measured the needle and found a pin the same size. popped a center guide into it and to the vise we went. I figure it can't run any worse than it did with no hole

I've never seen a mixture screw with such a small end and taper...
                            Don

old:
                            1989 kawi ex500
                            1996 yzf-r6
                            1999 yzf-r1
                            2001 kawi zx-6r
                            2000 Ducati 748
                            2002 YZF-R1
                            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Sharp as a sewing needle aren't they?

The size of the oraface won't make a big difference because the flow will be adjusted with the screw. It will be different from a stock one though.

That's why I cringe when I hear of people counting turns to try and get them all the same. They are all different and have to be adjusted individually.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X