New paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New paint job

I found a color I REALLY liked on a 2008 ford truck. I believe the factory name is Red Fire. It has alot of flake and pearl in it. I went to the local auto paint supplier, $170 a pint!!! With all the hardener, reducer, clear, materials alone came to $300.

Have any of you repainted your bikes other than black? How much did your paintjobs run you? I'm just trying to get some ideas but I don't think i'm gonna be paying $300 for a paint job.
    1981 XS1100 Special

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment

Doesn't sound unreasonable for flake and pearl paint. Paint isn't cheap especially when you add I. The fancy stuff.

I went with a GM fleet (plain color, nothing fancy) color and it was about $30 a quart. Clear coat was about the same. Dupont Nason brand.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Try these guys.... http://www.thecoatingstore.com/Home_Page.html

Not a huge color selection, but pretty good prices and they sell in smaller quantities.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by JoshKeast View Post
        I found a color I REALLY liked on a 2008 ford truck. I believe the factory name is Red Fire. It has alot of flake and pearl in it. I went to the local auto paint supplier, $170 a pint!!! With all the hardener, reducer, clear, materials alone came to $300.

Have any of you repainted your bikes other than black? How much did your paintjobs run you? I'm just trying to get some ideas but I don't think i'm gonna be paying $300 for a paint job.
        Anytime the paint base requires pearl..........price just doubled. Example: year ago, had the bed of my 2000 F-350 re-painted. It's that darker burgandy metallic color with pearl. One quart cost was $120. Of course doesn't include the hardener, reducer or clear.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The black to re-paint my MNS is $200/qt, so with a fancier color, I can see it adding up quick.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Yep, I have a $500 Cadillac pearl white paint job on a tank (that is rusting apart inside). It doesn't take much to hit a high dollar amount on metallic flake/pearl paint.
            XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

good cheap paint

I used paint from ebay,,,,,type in auto paint gallon in the search and a lot of colors come up. Around 50 a GALLON, delivered, also metallic if needed, enough for at least three bikes. Also, get the hardener for a few bucks more. Its easy to spray and with multiple coats, very durable, add the hardener and its gas proof, especially with a good coat of wax. For example, Trinity paint sells the gallons, quarts, etc

http://myworld.ebay.com/paintforcars...id=p4340.l2559

I sprayed two xs,xj1100 and plenty left over for a couple more, Good quality, use a decent spray gun, small compressor and you are good to go,,,,good luck, see my bike in the Colorado rally pics, blue xj1100,,,,,,,,,,Mike in Sun DIego
              mike
              1982 xj1100 maxim
              1981 venture bagger
              1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
              1959 wife

Comment

Working...
              X