Yes another oil/gas/petcock/octy post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes another oil/gas/petcock/octy post

Sorry guys but I have to ask. I've done searches and i have got good info which has got me this far lol.

I have had fuel leaking out of the filter almost since I got this bike last fall. So this spring the carbs were cleaned and the needle valves were not stuck. But it didn't leak (but there wasnt much gas in the tank) So I brought it home and it began to leak again (I put about a gallon of gas in).

So I drained the oil. took the tank off and the right petcock is dripping even on off.

Soooo where do I go from here?

If I redo the petcocks should i redo the diaphragm? and where Can I get these replacements from.

Also just while I work on it I used 20w-50 oil is that fine as long as i don't run it much? just until I get the fuel kinks out? Also how come the fuel is going into the oil anyways?
    82 XJ1100

Standard or Special tank? If it's a standard, you're looking at a petcock rebuild, and I'd suggest doing both because if one is worn enough to leak, the other can't be far behind. And you still need to redo the carbs, as those should prevent leaks if they're working right, in spite of the leaking petcock.

Special? You have a pretty much the same options and problems, you just have to decide if you want to retain the octy or go to full-manual petcocks. If you want the full manual version, look in the 'mods' forum for a 'Special Petcock mod' to simplify the hoses.

Georgefix on eBay will have rebuild kits for both types....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

20-50 is the correct oil to use, so yes it is ok to run it with that oil (unless there is gas in it, then it is not ok to run it).

The gas gets into the oil because the gas runs forward into the cylinders and then washes down past the piston rings into the crank case.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The bike (which i forgot to mention is a 82 XJ1100.

The carbs are real clean. I wonder if the floats or valves are done. I'll check it out tomorrow hopefully .
        82 XJ1100

Comment

First, it is not really a given that the gas got into the oil. To play it safe you may want to make the assumption it did, but I have had fuel run out the airbox and nothing noticable in the oil. Yes I know someone did some calculation to show that it takes unnoticable amounts of raw fuel to ruin the oil, but by that basis everytime you may have flooded the engine you better change your oil. JMHO, but if you can not smell it, and your oil level has not risen, you should be safe.

Now, as to the leaks, XJ I think uses different petcocks than the XS, but Georgefix should still have what you need, just let him know you want XJ petcock rebuild kits. If you did not do it before, I would change out the float needle valves and seats, again, Georgefix should be able to help you out.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Yeah when i changed out the oil it was filled with gas.Does this guy have a website to get this stuff from?
            82 XJ1100

Comment

CLICKITY CLICK HERE
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Thanks a bunk.
                82 XJ1100

Comment

That should say bunch. Yay for auto correct!
                  82 XJ1100

Comment

Did a temp fix until I get the parts in.

two 1 inch long pieces of fuel line melted and crimped on one end. Put them on at night and long stops lol.

ghetto I know but at least I won't burn a tank of fuel watering the cement.
                    82 XJ1100

Comment

Working...
                    X