Better shocks? Best possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better shocks? Best possible?

Have had my XJ1100 since 2007, and have loved nearly everything about it except the suspension -- bad back -- every bump hurts.

I replaced the original air shocks with Progressives, but they're not doing much. (Still have them by the way.)

Can anyone here suggest some super-performing shocks (Ohlins?) that could smooth the road out as much as possible?
    1982 XJ1100J Maxim
    2000 BMW R1200C

“We go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.” – Mark Twain

I put XJ shocks on my Special. Way better than old stock. Heard about Showas off a Honda Shadow, haven't tried 'em. Some convert to a single R1 shock. It's a one-way trip, and works best if you stiffen up the swingarm, so I haven't tried it. Got a 0 miles R1 shock off a 2005 model if you're interested in that. There are threads on it on this site.
    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Yes, please. Do you happen to know for sure that they fit an XJ11? Or do I need to research?
      1982 XJ1100J Maxim
      2000 BMW R1200C

Comment

Better check the thread on it. You have to make a new upper mount, weld it on. Swing arm stiffening also requires welding. Those who've done the swap say it's worth it. If you want to go ahead, PM me about the R1 shock. I'm happy with my XJ shocks for now and appreciate the adjustability they offer. You might check the oil level in yours, maybe freshen it up. Might change the way they work. Mine were not good till I did that.
        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

There's a tremendous variety in rear shocks, and it can sometimes take careful selection to get the one that's right for you.

Truthfully, if ride quality is most important to you, Progressive shocks would probably be the best choice or even the OEM air-assisted units. Nearly all of the higher-end aftermarket units are aimed at performance, not ride, so some sacrifice in ride quality is considered a given.

Why did you replace the OEM XJ units? These are pretty good all-around rear shocks if working right and a favorite as an 'upgrade' for the XS. They can be rebuilt to a degree, look in the 'repairs' forum for a how-to.

One complaint I've rarely heard about Progressive shocks is a hard ride. But you have to get the right shock; if you got shorter than the normal 12.5" OEM-length shocks, a harsher ride has to be expected as they fit stiffer springs to prevent bottoming with the reduced suspension travel. Another issue with Progressive is they'll tend to recommend 'heavy-duty' springs when they're not really needed. The 'standard' springs are nearly always more than adequate for most riders, and can be installed on the same shock body. If you ride two-up or with a loaded full touring package you may need the heavy-duty springs, otherwise probably not.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I never did more than add air to the OEM shocks, but they always seemed to offer no shock absorption whatsoever. I'm not a shop guy, not good at anything beyond the basics (installed a windshield, air horns, battery, etc.), and would frankly not want to ride a bike I had worked on.

I have the original shocks and guess I can ask around for someone in my area (Albuquerque) who would know how to adjust them, if they need it and are still functional. I bought the bike with very low mileage so they should have been. I thought the seals must have been popped.

I've tried the Progressives in every one of the five positions and they just don't seem to do much -- after 20 minutes of irregular road, my back is bad.

I understand what you mean about tuning shocks to the rider and the bike. I look longingly at the retro HD with the Marlon Brando spring seats ...

Never have a passenger, and never have luggage. Just side bags.
            1982 XJ1100J Maxim
            2000 BMW R1200C

Comment

Originally posted by LCS249 View Post
              I look longingly at the retro HD with the Marlon Brando spring seats ...
              I've never ridden on them, but I can't imagine the tiny 1"-2" of travel that those seats give being any better than ANY kind of real shocks. The motion of the swingarm taking up the bumps in the road has to be preferable to the tiny seat springs.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

I'm sure you're right. Just jealous when I see the riders bounce, clearly avoiding the spine-jolting bumps I hit.
                1982 XJ1100J Maxim
                2000 BMW R1200C

Comment

Originally posted by LCS249 View Post
                  ..I've tried the Progressives in every one of the five positions and they just don't seem to do much -- after 20 minutes of irregular road, my back is bad..
                  Well, I understand the bad back thing, as I suffer from the same problem. You may not be able to get much relief, as bike weight is one of the limiting factors in how well the bike will ride. While no lightweight, the XS/XJ also doesn't have the heft on the big road cruisers and a lot of the ability to soak up bumps will be related to overall weight. Probably the thing to look at is how well is your suspension working now; is it simply harsh and not bottoming out, or are you bottoming? The way to check is to look inside the shock springs for a rubber bumper on the shock shaft. Pull that down to where you can see it (this won't be easy, but can be done) then ride the bike with the preload turned as high as it will go. If you find that bumper pushed up as far as it will go, the springs are too soft and you're bottoming out. If it's not pushed up, try lowering the preload. If, after going to minimum preload, the bumper still isn't going all the way up and the ride is still too hard, the springs are too stiff. Check into a lighter spring from progressive at that point.

You might also want to experiment with rear tire pressure; you might be able to lower the pressure enough to help but this may affect handling.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks -- will look into that if I can.

I also got a Diamond seat a few years ago which, as it turns out, is on the firm side. The guy there said they build them that way on purpose and it will take a few thousand miles for them to break in.

I'm going to have to beat this thing one way or another or (ahem ...) abandon the bike. And it's my favorite bike, ever.

Last bike before this was a Triumph Trophy 1200 which was completely smooth, but also very tall and very top-heavy. Not the right bike for me.
                    1982 XJ1100J Maxim
                    2000 BMW R1200C

Comment

I just went out to change the Progressive shocks to the highest setting from the lowest -- thought the lowest would be a softer ride, but from this discussion I could have it backwards. Going out tomorrow for a fairly long ride over various kinds of terrain. Will report back.

I will also take the air shocks to a shop to see if they can diagnose them.
                      1982 XJ1100J Maxim
                      2000 BMW R1200C

Comment

Lifting the XS

Has anyone installed taller shocks to lift the bike? In setting up this '81 MNS I'm reminded of my '79 wherein I believe we went with slightly longer forks from a different model as well as taller air shocks and different bars to fit my 6'-6" frame.

Comment

Personally, I am not a fan of progressive springs on a motorcycle. If you want a better ride, you want straight rate springs. Just when the spring starts soaking up a bump, you hit the heavier spring.

YSS shocks have been strongly recommended to me. They come in a variety of spring rates, including progressive wound.

As always, YMMV.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Working...
                          X