No announcement yet.

should I drill out the Idle mix hole...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I drill out the Idle mix hole...

Hello, #1 & #2 Idle mix jets were broken off, using the sewing needle fix, I was able to get #2 out, but #1 won't budge, thought about drilling it out, but don't want to screw it up beyond repair, also on my 79 standard, I had a broken mixture screw, but run it that way for the last few years, had an irradic idle but ran great otherwise. Any input would be appreciated. Later 'Dog

I'm not the person to tell you what to do but this happened with my 79 xs1100 special last winter in two carbs and my brother drilled them out and put oversized needles in and I had nothing but problems since then.

It would idle at 1100 sometimes, and sometimes It'd be at 3000 rpm which was annoying and sometimes it'd be at 500rpm and I'd have to feather the throttle to keep it running. It sucked at stop lights. We also had to use smaller jets In those carbs but it ran fine when driving by the end of the season when we finally got it tuned properly.

The idle problem wouldn't go away so I just got new carbs and just put them in tonight. Now it idles fine. The problem that i had with the old carbs might not happen to you, I just thought I'd let you know my experience with oversized needles.

If drilling it out is the only choice then you might as well try it but I'd wait for an experienced opinion first. Maybe I was just unlucky...
    Eric Haarstad
    Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

If it pokes out into the inside of the carb use a small bolt with an acorn nut on it as an internal press to push the needle up.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks, Nate & Haarsd, the point was out a little, but I pressed a flathead screwdriver on it trying to push it out, which may have made it bind, I wished I had thought about using a nut & bolt....Later 'Dog

Comment

Then I would say to use a 90 degree dental pick with a thin point and pick at it.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You can get a hand held pin vise drill for cleaning acetylene torch tips from a welding supplier. The bits that come with it are very small. Use a bit the same size as the oraface originally was and drill it out by hand.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by scalded dog View Post
              Hello, #1 & #2 Idle mix jets were broken off, using the sewing needle fix, I was able to get #2 out, but #1 won't budge, thought about drilling it out, but don't want to screw it up beyond repair, also on my 79 standard, I had a broken mixture screw, but run it that way for the last few years, had an irradic idle but ran great otherwise. Any input would be appreciated. Later 'Dog
              it happened also to my #1 carb ...
              here's the drill bits you need:

1. a small regular bit , approx 2mm in dia - or any bit that's approx 1/2 smaller than the diameter of the idle mix needle.

2. a small bolt extractor bit ( I bought mine at O'Reilly's but should be avail at other auto parts like Autozone)
              Drill it ( clockwise) to make a small hole for the extractor bit
              then you slowly drill again using the bolt extractor bit (this time counter-clockwise)...

Good Luck!
              Last edited by Vinnie48; 04-05-2012, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                You can get a hand held pin vise drill for cleaning acetylene torch tips from a welding supplier. The bits that come with it are very small. Use a bit the same size as the oraface originally was and drill it out by hand.
                +1 we sell more tip drills to people for reason other than tip cleaning... or go to a hobby shop and get a pin drill set, we use to drill out air bleeds in racing carbs with pin drills before they started making screw in air bleeds... which I'd still drill anyways using a small precision screw driver for like glasses might work too.
                Don
                1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

If you have not tried it yet, somewhere on here is a thread on how to make a "press" that will fit in the throat of the carb to press the broken tip out of the hole.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Thanks Guys, great ideas, will keep working on it, but may run it awhile with one of the idle mixer clogged up, and see how it runs, this beautiful weather in Ga. has me ready to hit the road...LOL. Later 'Dog

Comment

Working...
                    X