my first build complete (for now) comments and ideas welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first build complete (for now) comments and ideas welcome

Just got my old girl back on the road for the first time in 10 months and she pulls a lot harder than I thought she would and handles amazingly for a bike this big! With the chain drive conversion and some serious weight reduction my 1981 XS1100H pulls a lot harder than my 2009 XR1200 did before I sold it. Took about 10 months to build her in my drive-way and small 5x8 shed while in command of B/1-10FA which I don't think is too bad. I bought the bike for $450 last April and spent almost double that just for the chain drive conversion but I think it was worth it. Stage I of the build is complete with chain drive conversion, 2001 FZ1 front end with Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 fork cartridge kit, custom 2001 FZ1 dual shock rear swingarm with Bitubo 3-way adjustable rear shocks, 530 chain with 14/47 gearing, energy suspension poly engine mounts, acewell speedo, nissin front brake master cylinder, galfer front and rear ss brake lines, ballistic battery (freakin' awesome by the way), cherry bombs, and michelin power pure 2CT tires 120/70/R17 up front and 200/50/R17 in the rear.

My plans for stage II when I get the funds saved up are some serious engine work. Would like to see 100 rwhp or more hopefully, not sure where I'm going to get that work done since I don't think I can do it myself, but I'll be fully committed when I do. Stage III will be paint and powder coat, plan on keeping the stock seat since that thing is so comfortable but may get it re-upholstered, may change out to some even lighter wheels and brembro monoblock calipers, and maybe some more cutting of the frame just to clean things up. Stage IV, if there will be a stage IV, is going to be a custom supercharger. Would like to modify and adapt a procharger unit but we'll see.

I'm going to the Cafe Racer premier on 19 April in Atlanta and then to the Road Atlana AMA Race/Vintage Festival the following weekend. Hope to see some of you there.

Thoughts?

Adrian

before:

after:

2005 YZF-R1
    2002 XV1700 Warrior
    1981 XS1100H

good luck on the 100rwhp. search the member list for Dan Hodges (i think that is how you spell it) she spent a lot of time and money either trying to get 100 or 120 rwhp and I dont think he ever made it to his goal. But if it is possible, he tried it.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Looks great.

Awsome! That is all i can say!
      80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
      79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
      82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
      81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
      06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
      81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
      81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

If you're looking for big power, you'll have to go turbo or nitrous....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

nice looking build.
          xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

Sexy bike, but tis a shame you did it to an 81H. Either way, pretty unique, which is always BA.
            1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
            1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
            1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Nice job building! Bet the rear handles well with the 'layed down' piggy-back gas shocks. BTW, that was an early on moto-cross 'trick' rear set-up. Thinkin maybe you may be somewhat aware of that. Your the first I've seen that knows how to do that set-up on the rear. Definitely gain some travel distance with the 'lay-downs' and a HUGE side force stability!. Just because of the rear suspension set-up, you get a high-five from me!
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

very cool!

Great cafe look.

But, I think it would look a lot better with a little smaller gas tank. Oh, man!. I"VE got one I 'd be willing to trade to help you out.
                Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  good luck on the 100rwhp. search the member list for Dan Hodges (i think that is how you spell it) she spent a lot of time and money either trying to get 100 or 120 rwhp and I dont think he ever made it to his goal. But if it is possible, he tried it.
                  Goal is definitely 100 NA rwhp , but if I don't get it I don't get it. This thing is still a blast to ride. I don't think I'm really interested in a turbo set-up, just don't need all the hassle and fussiness associated with those set-ups especially on a carbed motor, not really interested in nitrous either on a motor this old and with the 2nd gear problems these bikes tend to have. If I do any kind of power adder I think I will try a modified intercooled procharger kit for carbed harley's. I believe the hardest part would be getting the pulley and gearing set-up right but after that it's just carb tuning and having the manifold fabricated.
                  2005 YZF-R1
                  2002 XV1700 Warrior
                  1981 XS1100H

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    Nice job building! Bet the rear handles well with the 'layed down' piggy-back gas shocks. BTW, that was an early on moto-cross 'trick' rear set-up. Thinkin maybe you may be somewhat aware of that. Your the first I've seen that knows how to do that set-up on the rear. Definitely gain some travel distance with the 'lay-downs' and a HUGE side force stability!. Just because of the rear suspension set-up, you get a high-five from me!
                    Thanks! I can't take full credit for the inverted shocks. I initially did it that way so that the shocks would clear the chain. When mounted "correctly", i couldn't get the left rear shock spaced out far enough to keep the spring from rubbing against the chain so I just turned them upside down. When I took the bike over to Traxxion Dynamics they said that it was an ideal set-up and rebuilt the rear shocks to maximize efficiency inverted. Air five!
                    2005 YZF-R1
                    2002 XV1700 Warrior
                    1981 XS1100H

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw4shrt View Post
                      Thanks! I can't take full credit for the inverted shocks. I initially did it that way so that the shocks would clear the chain. When mounted "correctly", i couldn't get the left rear shock spaced out far enough to keep the spring from rubbing against the chain so I just turned them upside down. When I took the bike over to Traxxion Dynamics they said that it was an ideal set-up and rebuilt the rear shocks to maximize efficiency inverted. Air five!
                      Yup, that layed down angle almost doubles the swing-arm travel with minimal shock travel AND minimizes lateral forces. For what it's worth, that rear set-up WILL out handle what the front can by 3-fold...............
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                      X