vetter fairing fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vetter fairing fit?

I have a chance to buy a vetter fairing with vetter bags cheap locally,the question is there off a 750(doesn't say what year) and I have an 80 XS11SG.Any chance to get the fairing to fit? Bags I'm not so worried about,can always fabricate a brace. I can get the whole setup for 50 bucks
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

The fairing will fit, the bracket to mount it won't though, I think the bolt holes are to close together.

I would buy it.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

i've text him he says he has a few different vetter fairings ,I might just make a deal on the whole lot,he says he's got fairings,rear trunks and saddlebags.we'll see.probably go there Sat.
      FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
      1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
        I have a chance to buy a vetter fairing with vetter bags cheap locally,the question is there off a 750(doesn't say what year) and I have an 80 XS11SG.Any chance to get the fairing to fit? Bags I'm not so worried about,can always fabricate a brace. I can get the whole setup for 50 bucks
        The brackets for the fairing are rather simple and can be modified by a competent welder. If you get it post back and I'll take pix of my bracket for my XJ. The fairings are all the same mounting, Google Vetter and find his page. I prefer the WJ2 with the external turnsignals but they predate the XS. The WJ3-5 have built in turnsignals high on the fairing. You may also find 2 1.5" holes behind the turnsignals for the optional Vetter horn kit. They do a great job of letting the sound out and water in. Check my site for a plastic welding section, east to do. You might re-consider buying the whole lot, demand seems pretty low on these and you may end up keeping all of them for ever.
        Last edited by WSL91; 04-03-2012, 03:40 AM.
        1970? Honda Z50... gone
        1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
        1974 Honda CB200... gone
        1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
        1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
        2008 Honda VTX 1800F
        1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
        1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

I picked up a vetter mount "supposedly" for a yamaha xs750. It had a standoff with a clamping system that fits to the crossbar below the steering head.. I fenaigled some things and mounted it to the crossbar on my 11. It put the fairing too low and too far fwd according to xs 11 pictures I looked at on google. I ended up cutting off the "standoff" and drilled holes that match the oil cooler mounting holes. Then I cut off the lower mounting "tabs" that clamp to the downtubes and repositioned them. I also ended up using spacers of about 5/8" between the back of the bracket and the frame.. Put the fairing about right.. My bracket isn't tipped up far enough and the headlight points down too close on the pavement, and I have the bucket adjusted as far up as it will go .. I'll have to make an engineering change. I have no pics of the bracket right now. If interested, I can take pictures. I wanted to get it on the bike so I can start riding to work.

Have fun.

Carey

Comment

I would like to see that bracket and fairing. Some people have those complaints when mixing fairing and brackets between Pacifico and Vetter parts.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              I would like to see that bracket and fairing. Some people have those complaints when mixing fairing and brackets between Pacifico and Vetter parts.
              I would imagine so. My comments were for differences within the Vetter line only
              1970? Honda Z50... gone
              1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
              1974 Honda CB200... gone
              1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
              1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
              2008 Honda VTX 1800F
              1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
              1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...at=0&_from=R40
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Preferences

So I hope you get the whole lot, but that's just me being selfish. I've got an sg, just like you. I just bought a fairing from a member here, I've got a luggage rack and sissy bars, so now I'm looking for bags and a trunk.
                  Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
                  mods to come

Comment

Originally posted by sweet78xs View Post
                    I picked up a vetter mount "supposedly" for a yamaha xs750. It had a standoff with a clamping system that fits to the crossbar below the steering head..

Carey
                    The above describes a pacifico fairing mount. Obviously a PITA to make work with the vetter fairng. You MUST get a vetter mount made for the XS1100 to have a pain free install. They pop up infrequently on ebay. anything under $50.. is a good price.

That "stand off" described by Carey is a dead giveaway of the pacifico mount. avoid it unless you have a pacifico fairing.

I also would not load up on fairing stuff. hard to sell & pricey to ship.
                    I have fairing & bags from an xs750 on my XG. Easy fab for bag mounts & bought xs1100 fairing mount on ebay. All windjammers use the same bike-specific mounts. Just buy mount for bike.
                    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
                      The above describes a pacifico fairing mount. Obviously a PITA to make work with the vetter fairng. You MUST get a vetter mount made for the XS1100 to have a pain free install. They pop up infrequently on ebay. anything under $50.. is a good price.

That "stand off" described by Carey is a dead giveaway of the pacifico mount. avoid it unless you have a pacifico fairing.

I also would not load up on fairing stuff. hard to sell & pricey to ship.
                      I have fairing & bags from an xs750 on my XG. Easy fab for bag mounts & bought xs1100 fairing mount on ebay. All windjammers use the same bike-specific mounts. Just buy mount for bike.
                      I disagree Tom. The Kutter fairing I have on my bike is basically a Windjammer. I believe it is molded from the old Vetter tooling. It even takes a Vetter windshield.

This is the mount that fits it.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

It's exactly like THIS ONE.

The Pacifico mounts to the 2 vertical bolt holes on the steering stem I believe.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

first of all,thank you guys for all your input. Greg,that pic says it's for a 78-79,does the 80 sg take the same mount? Hey,Jersy,if you want,when I go look at the stuff he has,I can take a pic of any trunks and bags he has and get them right then, and send them to you. PM me with a cell phone # and I can send you a pic right then and there,and if your interested, I can pick them up for the cost of them plus shipping.It might be cheaper for you to meet me,say Newburg N.Y. for some gas money and tolls. It's up to you.Give me good reason to go to OCC again.
                          FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                          1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                            Greg,that pic says it's for a 78-79
                            The mounting points are the same.

The pic I posted is my bike. An SG.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

cool,thanks Greg. I'm not sure I'm going to put it on right now,but it sounds like a good deal for fairing and bags,so
                              i think it's worth a look and put more crap in my garage.
                              FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                              1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Working...
                              X