Carb jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by killercummins View Post
    Im running 120 main 45 pilots with pods and kerker 4to1. Plugs look good. Its needs some more fine tuning. Now my clutch is unhappy.
    Fine tuning where? on the light side of the throttle? Pilot?
    1980 XS1100SG Special

Comment

motoman,

Where does all this published information come from that says SG/SH 110, 120, 120, 110? My carburetors had three jet sizes in them, so I know they were tampered with. Research told me those numbers were correct. They're also listed here on channel 11. I'm not doubting you, just looking for an explanation. A note of interest is that my plugs all look the same.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Marty, the FSM shows 110s across for the '80 Special, 115 outer/120 inner for the '80 standard. Clymer matches for the standard, but shows the 110/120 combo for the Special, so which would you trust....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well Steve, if the plugs look OK and the engine runs well at all useable RPM's, does it really matter? Why would a standard be jetted any differently than a Special? There's something going on here that I don't quite understand, other than assumption of load as suggested by motoman.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by copracr View Post
            Fine tuning where? on the light side of the throttle? Pilot?
            One of my mixture screws are stripped
            95 Dodge 2500 RCLB 2wd 5spd cummins 303k miles. Alot of go fast parts and smoke.

80 xs1100sg 16k miles. Kerker 4 to1 Pods with stock airbox tubes. 120 mains 45 pilots slipping clutch

86 Samurai soft top 16v tracker motor, 6.5 to 1 t-case gears 34" tractor tires among other stuff

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              Well Steve, if the plugs look OK and the engine runs well at all useable RPM's, does it really matter? Why would a standard be jetted any differently than a Special? There's something going on here that I don't quite understand, other than assumption of load as suggested by motoman.
              I'm simply pointing out that if you want to know what the factory jetting is, I'd have to give the decision to the factory manual. Unless there's a TSB out there that reflects a mid-production change, I'd believe the FSM over the Clymers...

How well an individual bike runs with non-spec jets is up to the well, um, the individual bike...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey, while I got your guys' attention maybe you could settle something for me. I'm working on a CV carb on a chinese gy6 dune buggy. My buddy says you tune WOT with the main jet first, then check the needle jet, then adjust idle mixture and if needed change the pilot.
                His thinking is the main jet is slightly open at all RPM's so you change that first and work down.
                Every post I've read about CV carbs says to get idle set first then work up to WOT. My thinking is the main jet may have a needle shoved in it at idle but the pilot is definetly open at all throttle positions and so would contribute some small amount of fuel.

You guys have 4 CV carbs per bike, what do you think?
                1980 XS1100SG Special

Comment

ALL CV carb information concerning tuning refers to your friend being correct.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    Why would a standard be jetted any differently than a Special? There's something going on here that I don't quite understand, other than assumption of load as suggested by motoman.
                    As previously stated, the Special and Standard used different configurations of metering rods in each.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Interesting that your carbs have 132.5 mains. I've been trying to sort my carbs out for a while. Weird thing is they have these plastic Amal style jets (large hex) that are 210. According to some research these 210 Amal jets are roughly equal to 132.5 Mikuni (large round) jets. I just put rebuild kits into my carbs and the stock 137.5 jet seems too rich. Everytime I switch back to the 210 Amals, it gets better.

There is only one set of carbs that I've found used a 132.5 main and that's the 78 and 80 UK version of our carb. Read it here:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/xs11/carbspec.htm

I asked about these amal jets before and nobody knew what I was talking about. Maybe you're just running the UK carbs like I think I might be. From what I understand, they'll look like the early model 78-79 carbs but have a different jet needle and smaller mains.
                      80 XS11 "Bellatrix"- MAC 4-1, ZRX1200 carbs, Dynatek Coils, Raptor CCT

Comment

I dont know, but everything I checked in that link earlier matched my carbs up to the later model guys. They didn't look early style in anything I checked.
                        1980 XS1100SG Special

Comment

I highly doubt you are using UK carbs. Something else just isn't set up right. Also there should be a number printed on the carbs. If they are UK carbs it should say 2H9.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

CV carb tuning procedures
                            http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbt...m_engines.html
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

My pilots came in and I went to reassemble the carbs and looked at the other jets. I have a 132.5 in my #1, the rest are 110's. Nice huh. The idle mixture screws were set to reflect that though - 2.25, 1.75, 3.25, and 3 turns. I'm guessing the PO leaned out #2 to smooth things out a bit, I don't know. So I'm gonna order all new 115's and some new gaskets. I figured split 112.5 and 120 and I should be in the neighborhood.

Then I figured I might as well check the valves since the bike was this far apart and the valve cover leaks anyhow. I don't know what spec is but they look very even. front valves are .007, .007, .007, and .006 and the rears are .004, .0025, .0025, and .0025. I did notice the cam chain seemed pretty loose. I have the factory adjuster on it.
                              Some questions I have is:
                              What's valve specs?
                              Does anyone have a part number on the auto adjuster that fits this bike and has that turned out to be a good upgrade?
                              Last edited by copracr; 04-06-2012, 12:02 AM.
                              1980 XS1100SG Special

Comment

I just re-thought my jet choice. I'm gonna go 120's cause I'd rather run it rich than lean. And I know if it runs acceptably well I won't tear it back apart to get it spot on
                                1980 XS1100SG Special

Comment

Working...
                                X