Question re "old type" mercury carb synchronizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re "old type" mercury carb synchronizer

I bought a new Motion Pro carb synchronizer about 15 years that used the mercury. I used it on my own machine and some other riders' machines several times over about a 3 year period, and was really quite satisfied with it. It's been hanging in my 10' X 20' storage unit for 12 years. Had procrastinated on using it for all those years~~thinking the mercury may have solidified (?) or evaporated (some), for all that length of time~~and one cannot get the mercury anymore. Wondering if anybody knows what the mercury "does" after a lengthy sit of 10-12 years.? Had been thinking to get a Morgan Carbtune that does not require the mercury, but if the mercury would still be fluid and all there, would rather still use the old Motion Pro carb stick. I don't really want to "set up" for a carb sync and remove my 7 and half gallon Concours tank, unless I've got a "ready-to-go" carburetor synchronizer.

(?) Anybody had experience with what mercury "does" after sitting for several years exposed to air?
    JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
    7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

It does nothing. It's inert, and will still be liquid mercury, as long as it wasn't spilled. I do like the new morgan carbtune though! No worry about spilling, and much easier to transport.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Ok; 10-4 re the mercury being inert; that's good news to hear. If one handles and transports the carb stick over time will get laid down and the mercury spilled; which hasn't happened to mine, yet, but inevitable eventually; and, wherever the mercury would end up~~not healthy to be around it. Probably will eventually get a Carbtune synchronizer, because of that......................
      JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
      7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Mercury does evaporate but very,very,very slowly. It would take several decades before you would even notice.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The only thing that I have seen with mercury liquid is that sometimes it can get small amounts of water on it. It is probably combustion water (or other condensate). I suppose you could wick the water off with a paper towel, but mercury is so much heavier, the water is negligible if you just read the mercury levels.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Take care of the merc. stixs! They ARE still the most accurate and will work just fine. The glass tubes are delicate as I'm sure U already know. Mine have broke near the top a couple times over the years, but just cut off a small piece of the attached hoses to join the breaks together. The problem being the glass tubes need couple more supports midway up the tubes since they are real long. Some years ago mine got spilled and was able to get the bottle of merc. from MoyionPro, but NA now. I've also threatened to get a MorganTune, but I also know the merc. stixs are still more accurate than anything on the market including the electronic digital one.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

GLASS? I didn't know that. Mine is homemade and it uses plastic vertical tubes with tygon tubes for connectors.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

'Carb Stick

Mercury is still available. I just bought a Racepro Mercury Carb Synchronizer off ebay. This one has provisions for sealing the unit so as not to spill any Mercury.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACEPRO-MERC...2a0a89&vxp=mtr
                Last edited by mhamren; 04-03-2012, 01:10 AM.
                Mike Hamren
                ---------------
                1980 XS1100LG
                2002 XV1700PC

Comment

Originally posted by mhamren View Post
                  Mercury is still available. I just bought a Racepro Mercury Carb Synchronizer off ebay. This one has provisions for sealing the unit so as not to spill any Mercury.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACEPRO-MERC...2a0a89&vxp=mtr
                  That looks like the old Motion Pro style. Does the reservior have a rubber tube stuck into it, and a post up above that the other end of the tube plugs onto, thereby sealing the reservior?
                  If so, be careful. The tube can come out of the reservior hole, and all the mercury can run out, if the thing is not in an upright position. A daubble of 3M trim cement around the tube and plastic might provide a little insurance against that possibility. Clean the tube with alcohol to clean any release agent off of the rubber before application of the trim cement, and check for proper adhesion after a day or two of drying time. CZ

Comment

Sounds like that's it! Thanks for the tip, I'll impement that right away.
                    Mike Hamren
                    ---------------
                    1980 XS1100LG
                    2002 XV1700PC

Comment

Also looks like the glass tubes are supported in more locations than the ole' MotionPro stix. Fortunately the delicate glass tubes on my MotionPro have broke up high and have been able to place small pieces of the clear vacuum hoses where broke, connecting the tubes together.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                      X