Oil Filter Install - Everything is a struggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Install - Everything is a struggle

From the link below, the picture indicates where I am in the process of installing a new filter. The filter I'm using is the EMGO 10-28500, for the XS1100.

http://picturepush.com/public/7916517

I'm trying to slide the filter (and the two grommets) over the bolt, but every time the grommets get pushed out of place. It's like the grommet ID is too small to go over the bolt.

What's the trick?

Thanks

Oil the grommet and hold it in place as you push the bolt through. The grommet is a seal, so it should remain snug.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by FormerGlory View Post
      From the link below, the picture indicates where I am in the process of installing a new filter. The filter I'm using is the EMGO 10-28500, for the XS1100.

I'm trying to slide the filter (and the two grommets) over the bolt, but every time the grommets get pushed out of place. It's like the grommet ID is too small to go over the bolt.

What's the trick?

Thanks
      FWIW you are ahead of some of us, at least your bolt came out
      1970? Honda Z50... gone
      1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
      1974 Honda CB200... gone
      1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
      1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
      2008 Honda VTX 1800F
      1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
      1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Yes the grommet must remain in place so oil it up alot before sliding over the bolt. Remember to put in the spring and washer first. If that does not work and you aboslutely cannot get it on then try to remove the top grommet and place the filter over the bolt. Use a piece of tube or a larger socket that fits over the bolt but into the hole in the filter. Work the bottom down as far as you can and then install the top grommet and use your fingers to push the filter down onto the bolt fully. It is a hassle but can be done.

I have had this happen before with EMGO oil filters so I shy away from them. I try to find Fram filters when I can because they have better construction. Plus, they come with both o-rings.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Try coating the bolt and the rubber with grease (very lightly).
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I bought two of those back in November so I'd have one for the oil/filter change I was about to do, and a spare, and had the same results you have. I don't care how much oil I put on the bolt or what technique I used, the bolt would not go through the rubber grommet. I finally had to cut the grommet so it would open enough to allow the bolt to pass through. Not the best idea, but it's what it took. Obviously EMGO got their tollerances a bit off. Next filter will be a different brand, which will be in a few weeks.
            Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

Screw It...

Originally posted by FormerGlory View Post

What's the trick?

Thanks
              ...meaning the bolt into the filter.

Lightly grease the grommets and the threads of the bolt and screw it into the filter. Trying to push the bolt through the grommets may damage them.
              Also a little heat from a heat gun or hair dryer applied to the grommets will help.
              Last edited by Schming; 03-31-2012, 09:14 AM. Reason: Add Comment
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I changed my filter the other day and it was doing the same thing. How I did it was hold the filter and turn the nut on the bolt to screw it in. I don't know if it's ok or not but that's how I got my filter down.

Comment

See that the spring and washer are correct positions. Hold the bolt with your fingers and thread the filter on it. Other than that, next time a filter is puchased, NAPA IS your 'go to' place for oil filters for these scoots, and comes with both O-rings if needed........PS4933. Have also seen reports of EMGO oil filters coming apart...just a heads-up.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yeah, I bought a stock of 5 filters from Napa -- they can order them no problem, and they were less than $5 each, I think.

The rubber seals on those filters come in place on the filter, and fit like a glove.
                    XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Working...
                    X