Young kid = stupid question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young kid = stupid question..

I have been getting good progress with my XS. New tires, put in the new fuseblock, rebuilt back caliper, wheel bearings done all around and many others.

The problem I'm having is putting the rear brake caliper back on, when I bought the bike it didn't have one so I have no knowledge of taking it apart, hence, I cannot for the life of me get it put back together. I'm afraid to push the piston in any further. Wrong pads?(ordered from newmotorcycleparts.com), wrong setup? Missing parts? Wrong technique? Or just young kid new to motorcycles? Haha. I looked at the clymer manual and the service manual with little help. Pictures are very welcome!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Pancala; 03-23-2012, 09:32 PM.
    1979 XS1100F
    1980 XS1100SG(First bike, sold)

Other bikes
    1976 Kawasaki KZ400 (project)
    1983 Yamaha XV920 Midnight Special
    1984 Yamaha XT250 Enduro (project)

That caliper piston should squeeze in farther.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Which XS would you be working on? There are many differences between models even if they be small.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

easy

Hey Young guy,,,,take a c clamp or big channel locks and squeeze the piston until it bottoms out. There is no problem by moving the piston in until it almost lines up with the rim of the caliper. If it doesnt go semi easy the caliper could use a cleaning. To make the piston move much easier when squeezing, just loosen the bleeder a few turns and let the fluid squirt out when squeezing. This should give you enough room to slide right over the pads and put back over the rotor.......I also put a small rag on the piston when squeezing to keep the clamp from scratching the piston edge...........have fun, Mike in Sun Diego
        mike
        1982 xj1100 maxim
        1981 venture bagger
        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
        1959 wife

Comment

It is an 80 sg model

Thank you for the tip, I was afraid pushing the piston in any farther would unseat the rebuild kit I just put in. It was enough of a pain trying to get it back in there. So we'll sum it up to a young kid not knowing much
          1979 XS1100F
          1980 XS1100SG(First bike, sold)

Other bikes
          1976 Kawasaki KZ400 (project)
          1983 Yamaha XV920 Midnight Special
          1984 Yamaha XT250 Enduro (project)

Comment

Except for the lh and xj that caliper is the same for all the rest I believe. Nate's right it needs to push in all the way.
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

Originally posted by Pancala View Post
              I have been getting good progress with my XS. New tires, put in the new fuseblock, rebuilt back caliper, wheel bearings done all around and many others.

The problem I'm having is putting the rear brake caliper back on, when I bought the bike it didn't have one so I have no knowledge of taking it apart, hence, I cannot for the life of me get it put back together. I'm afraid to push the piston in any further. Wrong pads?(ordered from newmotorcycleparts.com), wrong setup? Missing parts? Wrong technique? Or just young kid new to motorcycles? Haha. I looked at the clymer manual and the service manual with little help. Pictures are very welcome!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
              dont be afraid of pushing the piston back into the caliper,
              thats what u need to do to have it fitted with new pads.

dont know what happened there, there was no replys before i posted lol
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
                Hey Young guy,,,,take a c clamp or big channel locks and squeeze the piston until it bottoms out. There is no problem by moving the piston in until it almost lines up with the rim of the caliper. If it doesnt go semi easy the caliper could use a cleaning. To make the piston move much easier when squeezing, just loosen the bleeder a few turns and let the fluid squirt out when squeezing. This should give you enough room to slide right over the pads and put back over the rotor.......I also put a small rag on the piston when squeezing to keep the clamp from scratching the piston edge...........have fun, Mike in Sun Diego
                +1 You can also just loosen the master cylinder cap so when you push it in the piston the fluid goes back up into the cylinder. loosening the cap will keep it from over pressurizing. C-clap and an old pad against the piston so you don't accidently crack the piston. If you place the old pad in the mix it will push the piston back to flush with the pad backing plate. Works for me YMMV
                Don
                1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

BTW there are no stupid question... well not really if you don't know its not stupid, and its smart to ask. Brakes are not something most people tackle every day. Good luck with your project.
                  Don
                  1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

jat,
                    dont forget to pump the pedal a few times
                    after u have everything back in place and put together
                    otherwise ur first outing might not be a pretty one.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Hold your horses....

First, did you thoroughly clean the internal groove in the piston bore before you installed the new seal? If that wasn't spotless, go back and do it again. Crud in the groove will cause the piston to go in hard and not move correctly. Next, did you verify the piston would go in and out of the bore smoothly before you installed the seal? Any burrs, corrosion in the bore will be more trouble soon. Same thing goes for the outer piston surface; it needs to be smooth and pit free. Next, seat the outer seal on the piston first, then push it into the bore; this will make sure the outer seal is seated properly. You can install the outer clip after the piston is in.

Lastly, that's not the correct way to install the pads. You're supposed to remove the caliper bracket from the bike, install the pads on the caliper, slide the caliper into the bracket, then install the assembly back on the bike. Note there's a pad retaining screw on the inside of the caliper; if this isn't installed (firmly holding the inner pad in position), the anti-rattle spring will cause misalignment and cause the rubber bushing that the caliper slides in to wear out.
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                        jat,
                        dont forget to pump the pedal a few times
                        after u have everything back in place and put together
                        otherwise ur first outing might not be a pretty one.
                        Yeah, I did my van and forgot to repressurize, put it in drive and took out a shelving unit in my garage
                        "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                          that's not the correct way to install the pads. You're supposed to remove the caliper bracket from the bike, install the pads on the caliper, slide the caliper into the bracket, then install the assembly back on the bike.
                          That would prove to be difficult on the rear brake, the axle would have to come out. Much easier putting the pads in the bracket then putting the screw in from the other side.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

One more thing... did you lubricate the seals and pistons with brake fluid? If you're pushing it in dry, it'll get stuck and your brakes probably won't release properly.
                            '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                              That would prove to be difficult on the rear brake, the axle would have to come out. Much easier putting the pads in the bracket then putting the screw in from the other side.
                              Yep, the axle has to come out. The FSM is ambiguous about this procedure for the rear brake, but my personal experience is the pad retaining screw can be a bitch to install in the rear with everything mounted. With the cast caliper bracket disengaged from the rotor, you can make certain everything is lined up right...
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X