HELP! Left Control Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Left Control Wiring

Ok, my '80 SG is completely restored now except for a few last details. Refitted and hooked up the wiring harness, and except for the headlight and turn signals not working, she's good. Inside the left handlebar control that houses the headlight Hi/Lo switch, the turn signal switch and the horn button, I have a black ground wire with a ring terminal - and I can't remember which screw head it attaches to. The wiring diagrams show a black ground wire connecting to the horn and also connecting to the turn signal switch, and this same ground goes to the headlight. I suspect this is the problem. No ground, no current flow.

Below is a link to a picture of the inside of the left control. The black wire with ring terminal is shown. Need to know which screw head it attaches to.

Hope you can help...

http://picturepush.com/public/7850254

Originally posted by FormerGlory View Post
    - - - I have a black ground wire with a ring terminal - and I can't remember which screw head it attaches to. - - -
    Hi Dennis,
    I don't think the circuit cares as long as the black wire is grounded to the switch body, the switch body is grounded to the handlebar and of course, the 'bar is grounded to the bike.
    What I did was pick the screw that lets the switch body close the easiest.
    Dunno if I hit the original screw or not but my switch works OK.
    Last edited by fredintoon; 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I was thinking the same...a ground is a ground is a ground. I'm going to jumper the black wire's ring terminal to a known good ground and make sure that fixes it. I also had the top and bottom control pieces powder coated so they may not be making good contact with the handlebar.

Thanks

Comment

That scew in the upper left corner of the picture looks to be a good candidate for that ring terminal. I can't remember exactly where mine is connected, but that's what I would try first.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

a ground is a ground is a ground
          Yup, you got it!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nope

Just did mine last week. It's the bottom half of the picture with the screw with the brass from left to right on it just over the flasher cancel thingy. If you put it on the upper left one the lead isn't long enough to let the switch housing flip around the bars.
            mack
            79 XS 1100 SF Special
            HERMES
            original owner
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
            SPICA
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
            IOTA
            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
            Frankford, Ont, Canada
            613-398-6186

Comment

I was thinking the same...a ground is a ground is a ground. I'm going to jumper the black wire's ring terminal to a known good ground and make sure that fixes it. I also had the top and bottom control pieces powder coated so they may not be making good contact with the handlebar.
              Hi Dennis,
              I'm not sure if the switch itself needs to be grounded before it will work properly.
              Sand the powdercoat off where the switch body grips the bar to make sure and use a multi-meter to check for continuity.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks to all. I'll get back to you on results.

Comment

Below is a link to a picture of the inside of the left control. The black wire with ring terminal is shown. Need to know which screw head it attaches to.

Hope you can help...

http://picturepush.com/public/7850254

It looks like the length of the wire would be right to put the terminal under the head of the screw that holds the sheetmetal plate. That looks like there would be room for the wire and terminal when the top is put back on. You might even see evidence of the terminal being in contact with the plate, unless you've done a superlative job of cleaning the plate, or that isn't where it goes. CZ

Comment

Working...
                  X