weak float valve springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weak float valve springs?

Help Mr. Wizard....I did some searching on my issue, but may be using the wrong terminology. This my first try at carb tuning and I really need help from the collective. Background is, I had my carbs rebuilt from an internet guy (I know, I know ). I mounted them and the bike fired up to a steady 1200rpm idle, but rich. Setup is SF with Jardine 4 into 1 with baffle, airbox with K&N element. Low mileage but sat in a barn for years and some contacts may be rusty. I installed Dyna 3 ohm coils and made new plug wires with NGK caps.

The rebuilder left the stock 137 mains and 42 pilots. Pilot screws were set to 1.5 turns out. I did an inital sync but left the pilot screws alone. The bike is rough and sputtery up to 3000rpm then cleans out, though not that great. Wide open throttle from 4k and up is very spotty, hard to discern (for me). All four plugs are black and sooty. I had the gap wrong at first, but have corrected them to .75mm.

I decided to check the float levels and removed the carbs. Three carb float levels (from gasket level) are at 7/8" or 22.25mm. #4 float is at 1" or 25.4mm. I was starting to bend tangs when I noticed that the weight of floats are depressing the needles, but #4 is more firm and supports the weight of the float.

I'm wondering how to proceed, replace float valves? I am leary of removing the float pins, because I know the posts can be broken. He did leave the pins out just a bit, possibly for ease of removal. Any help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by EricHa; 03-20-2012, 08:01 PM.
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
    Airbox w/K&N element
    Jardine 4 into 1
    145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
    1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
    1975 Honda CB550K

Take a small pair of side cutters (dykes) and grab the head of the float pin and pry it out. Try setting all your floats to 1", carbs upside down, bowl gasket removed. As long as all the floats are the same height, the differences of the springs in the float needles should not matter.

Edit: It does have brass floats correct?
    Last edited by bikerphil; 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Eric:

Just squeeze the float pins at the large end, between the post & the pin end with a diagonal cutter. Gently squeeze & the pin will move. After that it will slide right out. Never fails. You don't have to put any pressure on the post this way. Give it a try.
      Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
      stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        Take a small pair of side cutters (dykes) and grab the head of the float pin and pry it out. Try setting all your floats to 1", carbs upside down, bowl gasket removed. As long as all the floats are the same height, the differences of the springs in the float needles should not matter.

Edit: It does have brass floats correct?
        Thanks Phil. I will do that. So even though the weight of the float (upside down) is depressing the needle "pin" in some but not all, it won't matter as long as the floats measure out at 1"? I will also remove the gaskets to do this.
        Airbox w/K&N element
        Jardine 4 into 1
        145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
        1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
        1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
          Just squeeze the float pins at the large end, between the post & the pin end with a diagonal cutter. Gently squeeze & the pin will move. After that it will slide right out. Never fails. You don't have to put any pressure on the post this way. Give it a try.
          Hi Tom. Maybe I will need that set of yours if I screw this up.
          Airbox w/K&N element
          Jardine 4 into 1
          145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
          1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
          1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Originally posted by EricHa View Post
            Thanks Phil. I will do that. So even though the weight of the float (upside down) is depressing the needle "pin" in some but not all, it won't matter as long as the floats measure out at 1"? I will also remove the gaskets to do this.
            Hard to say for sure, sometimes those spring pins get stuck because they are gunked up with dried fuel deposits. Maybe they can be loosened up by spraying some carb cleaner on them. You do have brass floats, correct? If you want to go with new ones, here they are...

http://www.z1enterprises.com/Mikunit...amaha-310.aspx
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Sorry, yes brass floats. The #1 through #3 floats look to be set around 1" as they engage the float pin. They just seem weak when depressing them. The #4 seems firm.
              Airbox w/K&N element
              Jardine 4 into 1
              145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
              1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
              1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Don't push down on the floats and compress those springs when setting them. Let them sit naturally and set to 1" to the highest part of the float.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

No, I was holding the float up until it touched the pin, and when I let the pin support the weight of the float it depresses a significant amount on #1 2 and 3. The springs work, just very weak. That just doesn't seem right, from my noob perspective.
                  Airbox w/K&N element
                  Jardine 4 into 1
                  145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
                  1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
                  1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

A note on the float pins

Once you get them removed you do not have to press them back in tightly (they do this at the factory). Just insert them through the holes because once the bowls are on they are captive. Next time you must remove them it is a simple fingertip job.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Will do, thanks Mike. I'll give the standard float level adjustment a go, and I guess I can alway get new ones from MikesXS if necessary.
                      Airbox w/K&N element
                      Jardine 4 into 1
                      145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
                      1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
                      1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Or you can.ground off the little flare on the shaft so It is no longer tight.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

ok, I got the floats adjusted to 1" without the gasket, or around 15/16" with. Will get the carbs back in and hopefully be able to test this weekend. Thanks for the advice so far.

Airbox w/K&N element
                          Jardine 4 into 1
                          145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
                          1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
                          1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

You need to be a but more precise than that. You are almost 1/8" short. That is going to be a bit on the rich side.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                              You need to be a but more precise than that. You are almost 1/8" short. That is going to be a bit on the rich side.
                              +1 on that..... You need to be within .040" of 1", that's the allowable variation.
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X