No announcement yet.

Tank Liner REMOVAL help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Mike. I didn't give much info here. I'm working an XS650SH tank. It is very much like the XS11 Special tank, but smaller with one tap on the left side.

The tank appeared to have a good liner in it. I had the tank painted. I put it on the bike and put gasoline in it. The liner lifted. I tried to remove it with paint stripper, no joy. Only the lifted parts are gone. The liner is gray, if that helps. I'm away at work until the 25th. I have to wait until then to try again.

I hope I still have good paint under there.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

piggybacking

I just piggybacked onto Zookey's thread. I hope that's OK, since she appears to be done with it and I'm staying on subject. I think Mike's response is to an earlier part of the thread.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I put acetone in it this afternoon. It's working!
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Yeah acetone works good. It will take the paint off of about anything however. I would rinse with that stuff after you remove the bulk of the liner enough times until you are sure that it is cleaned out. I used flat chain as a scrubbing mechanism and had no issues with getting it back out. I tried rocks once and that sucked a big one! One more thing, acetone is flamable, so don't use a shop vac to move fumes over the drive motor.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I have a length of chain in the tank. It is rubbing the crap off nicely. I'm good with inflammable. I won't be sucking or blowing the fumes with a vacuum cleaner. I'm going to be filling the tank with a phosphoric acid solution once this is done. There's a lot of rust in there.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Working...
            X