WOT fuel issue, i think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT fuel issue, i think...

I had to get a new set of carbs cause mine were jacked, from a previous thread....I got a set from tv5150, and he came through for me in a pinch... just needed to be taken apart and cleaned, but the diaphragms were great, and all the insides were in great shape...ive been riding for at least 2k miles since then but now i started noticing that it had solid power up to 4500 rpms, then between 4500 and 5500 rpms it seems to have a mis or hesitation, and then solid power up through the rest of the rpm range. Thats how the throttle acted up to 3/4 pull. However, at WOT, it seems like it hits a wall every thousand rpms, and lots of mis/hesitation/ no power, all the way through the rpm range....i dont get it...
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

What do your plugs look like?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That sounds like the mains are nto quite big enough, but yours look to be large enough. I would do a WOT throttle chop and see what the plugs look like. Mains might be to big and boggin it out a little.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Clean the carbs again. You missed something.

Did you remove the emulsion tubes and clean in the wells ral good?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

what is the emulsion tubes again?
          79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
          Moto Militia MC

Comment

It's the brass tube that the main jets screw into and the jet needle goes down into. You have to take out the mains and remove the diaphragms to get them out because the push out up from the bottom and come out through where the slides are.

If you didn't take those out and clean that part up I would guess thats where the problem is.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The Emulsion tubes ARE the long brass aeration devices that the main jets screw into, they will slide UP thru the carb body once you take the vacuum slides out, and the main jets out, then you can tap them gently upwards into the throat of the carb to get them out. There are little pin holes that are supposed to be there, but they get clogged easily with gum/varnish similar to the small holes in the sides of the pilot jets!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I thought there were pics of the disassembly and assembly somewhere TC.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Go to the "Carb Cleaning 101" thread, has good pics of how they come out and what they are.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

That should be put in the maintanance section so it's easy to find. IMO
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      That should be put in the maintanance section so it's easy to find. IMO
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35341
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

OK ok.....so I'm old and forgot. Just reinforcing what Nate said..
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          OK ok.....so I'm old and forgot. Just reinforcing what Nate said..
                          Did I call you old and forgetful?
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            Did I call you old and forgetful?
                            You probably did at one time or another but I was talking about the link TC posted.....................
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

yes when i cleaned the carbs I pulled those tubes out and ran a length of wire through the emulsion tubes. my old carbs had 2 different emulsion tubes, but the carbs that I got from a forum member to get me back on the road, when i took them apart and cleaned them the emulsion tubes were all the same, the 8 holed variety, so i used those....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                              Moto Militia MC

Comment

Working...
                              X