Much better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much better!

Well, about 1 month ago, I got a tank of bad gas that gummed up the carbs. Seafoam didn't help (much) and my hope that continued riding would eventually clean out the crap also failed. My first "attempt" at cleaning involved removing and disassembling the carbs and cleaning out the jets and passages with standard carb cleaner. I found some nasty, brown sugar looking stuff all over the emulsion tube and thought I got things cleaned up.

As you guessed, I was wrong! It was much better, but it still had a bad part throttle miss that just wouldn't go away. It would start to get better for a day or two and give me hope that things were FINALLY cleaning up, but then it would come back just as bad as ever.

So, I finally broke down and bought a the cheap ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight and once more broke down the carbs and cleaned them for about 30 minutes each. While I can say the HF cleaner is not nearly as powerful as most other ultrasonic cleaners (as expected by the price and source), it did work for me. My bike FINALLY runs like it should with no missing or hesitation. I still need to balance the carbs and fine tune the idle needles, but that can weight until this weekened.
    -- Clint
    1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989
Working...
X