New Project Worries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project Worries

So I traded two of my two strokes for a 79 Standard. There are a lot of parts I am going to need so if anyone in the area has a parts bike, let me know. Anyways, onto the point, it seems the PO tried a fuel injection modification on this bike. The ignition timing plate was removed for a different thing I've never seen. I wouldn't think there is anything inside the engine that would need to be modified for fuel injection (if I'm wrong let me know). What I am wondering is where would be the best place to find a new timing plate to bring this baby back to stock. F*** fuel injection. Why would you mod a carb bike when you can buy a FI bike. SO DUMB! Sorry...frustrating. Also this guy had the battery box removed and completely destroyed the wire harness to try and compensate for the mod so if anyone has an extra or knows where to get one....let me know. I will have plenty of questions so if you are interested in how this goes, keep an eye out. I will be posting some parts for sale as well as I go along and a list of parts wanted. Take a look in the for sale/wanted section. Any help on the timing is my main concern right now. Thanks fellas and gals.
    1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
    1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
    1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Contact member andreashweiss for parts.
    Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by Lbrown311 View Post
      So I traded two of my two strokes for a 79 Standard. There are a lot of parts I am going to need so if anyone in the area has a parts bike, let me know. Anyways, onto the point, it seems the PO tried a fuel injection modification on this bike. The ignition timing plate was removed for a different thing I've never seen. I wouldn't think there is anything inside the engine that would need to be modified for fuel injection (if I'm wrong let me know). What I am wondering is where would be the best place to find a new timing plate to bring this baby back to stock. F*** fuel injection. Why would you mod a carb bike when you can buy a FI bike. SO DUMB! Sorry...frustrating. Also this guy had the battery box removed and completely destroyed the wire harness to try and compensate for the mod so if anyone has an extra or knows where to get one....let me know. I will have plenty of questions so if you are interested in how this goes, keep an eye out. I will be posting some parts for sale as well as I go along and a list of parts wanted. Take a look in the for sale/wanted section. Any help on the timing is my main concern right now. Thanks fellas and gals.

I hope you got it REAL cheap.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Got any pics of this setup?
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

BA...I traded it for a 71 R5 350 and a 74 RD250 both of which need as much work as this does, so Yeah I got it cheap. Its got bags and a fender in real good shape too. I contacted andreashweiss for the parts that I know of right now. and I will get some pics up tonight Nate.

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Hey Brown,

A few folks have done the FI mod for their XS11, it provides better mileage, smoother throttle response as well as better power throughout the rpm range, and eliminates the tuning hassles of 4 carbs, etc.! Also, allows the use of the newer ignition systems with programmable timing curves.

So that's why the removal of the timing parts, for different pickups and triggers for the FI and Electronic Ignition module components.

That said, being a 79, it's TCI is very simple, and aside from getting the cent. adv. and vac. advance parts, the TCI can actually be replaced with parts from a GM...see the tech tips on building your own TCI. Otherwise, they are quite common and relatively inexpensive compared to the 1 year production models of the 81 4R series with the built in cent. adv. curve, or the 82XJ with both cent. and vac. adv. curves programmed in.

As stated, Andreas Weiss on here is a good guy and parts broker for more than fair prices vs. ebay, but if he doesn't have what you need, then of course eBay is your other alternative for used parts.

Good luck with the rebuild/restore!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Here are some pics of the setup

I need the whole ignition timing, and vacuum advance mech. Get back to me with prices if you have one thanks. 79 standard

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Here are some pics of the setup
                That's the right timing plate and pick-up coils, but you are missing the mechanical advance and timing plate.... Make sure you get the advance that matches the motor for best performance.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

As are are Steve said that is supposed to be there!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So like how did it run with the FI? After owning a FI Honda I have no interest in carbs but I still wanted an 1100 and carbs are part of the deal.
                    1970? Honda Z50... gone
                    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                    1974 Honda CB200... gone
                    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

LOL well it didn't look the same as when I looked in mine so I was worried. The dude definately did some mods tho. SWEET! So does anyone have the parts I need to put her back into commish?

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

While you're there, gently take a pair of pliars and see if that pin on the end of the crank is loose at all. If it is, put some sort of goop/liquid gasket material on it and stick it back in there. Those ocasionally come out and it will mess up your timing in a big way.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have a 78e engine that I have torn apart (it has a hole in a piston) to use the gears out of it. I don't know if will work with the 79 or not. PM me if you are interested.
                          Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                          80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                          82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                          82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                          82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                          72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                          72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

I've heard different opinions on this matter of whether or not you should use your year specific. Not sure which timing I like better, but the sound of having a wider range on the 79 i do like. Hopefully we get some input on this matter.

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

So I just found both parts I need and they are off a 79 XS for $26. Pretty sure that is a nice deal. Unless someone responds with a better price by today I will go ahead and buy it. They look to be in pretty good shape as well.

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Working...
                              X