XJ Fork oil change question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WSL91
    replied
    Originally posted by CatatonicBug
    The caps are screwed into the tops of the fork tubes. Loosen the fork tube clamps so they can slide easily (prop up the bike so it is not resting on the front wheel when you do this). Release all air pressure from the forks. Protect the fork caps with a heavy rag and use a pair of large channel locks to grip the cap on either side of the air fill valve. Unscrew the cap from the end of the tube (its the same diameter as the fork tube). If you need to, use the fork clamps to grip lower on the tubes (below the level of the threads, about 1.5" down) to gain some leverage.
    I'm up on the steel fork tube caps unscrew from the fork tubes, I'm asking about the PLASTIC dampening adjusters that have a range of 1-4. Step 3 of the manual refers to removing the PLASTIC caps, further down in the instructions they remove the STEEL caps.
    Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • CatatonicBug
    replied
    The caps are screwed into the tops of the fork tubes. Loosen the fork tube clamps so they can slide easily (prop up the bike so it is not resting on the front wheel when you do this). Release all air pressure from the forks. Protect the fork caps with a heavy rag and use a pair of large channel locks to grip the cap on either side of the air fill valve. Unscrew the cap from the end of the tube (its the same diameter as the fork tube). If you need to, use the fork clamps to grip lower on the tubes (below the level of the threads, about 1.5" down) to gain some leverage.

    Originally posted by WSL91
    I have the XJ service manual and it says to remove the cap (5-19 step 3). Anyone know how to do that? Do you just pry up gently? I get the overall strategy, just don't know how to remove the air adjust caps

    Leave a comment:


  • Rasputin
    replied
    Originally posted by fredintoon
    Hi John,
    dunno if the XJ forks are different to my XS air-assist forks but it can't be too hard to do a routine maintenance thing like refilling them?
    But what I'd suggest is you tear them right down and clean all the innards.
    If that's never been done your forks have got 30 years-worth of crud inside them and that can't be a good thing.
    +1 on what Fred said. Every set I have taken apart has had mucho crud in them. I only change fork oil when I tear them apart and as it is a pain in the arse to do, I also change seals at that time. I figure that if I am spending the time that I may as well get it done the "better" way. Not to say that other methods do not work just my preference. I mean, like I am spending a few hours with one of my rides and sending a couple of beers to the happy hunting grounds so why not go all the way. Which also explains a few of the hangovers I have had by the way

    Leave a comment:


  • WSL91
    replied
    I have the XJ service manual and it says to remove the cap (5-19 step 3). Anyone know how to do that? Do you just pry up gently? I get the overall strategy, just don't know how to remove the air adjust caps

    Leave a comment:


  • CatatonicBug
    replied
    Get yourself a manual. You can download one from the link in my signature. It will explain the process for you.

    Leave a comment:


  • fredintoon
    replied
    Originally posted by WSL91
    I'd like to flush the forks on the XJ1100. I've done this on other bikes which means drain the oil, pull the caps replace. The XJ has the air forks with the dampening adjustment knobs on the tops of the fork caps. What does one do to remove them or is there a different procedure with the XJ?
    Thanks
    Hi John,
    dunno if the XJ forks are different to my XS air-assist forks but it can't be too hard to do a routine maintenance thing like refilling them?
    But what I'd suggest is you tear them right down and clean all the innards.
    If that's never been done your forks have got 30 years-worth of crud inside them and that can't be a good thing.

    Leave a comment:


  • WSL91
    started a topic XJ Fork oil change question

    XJ Fork oil change question

    I'd like to flush the forks on the XJ1100. I've done this on other bikes which means drain the oil, pull the caps replace. The XJ has the air forks with the dampening adjustment knobs on the tops of the fork caps. What does one do to remove them or is there a different procedure with the XJ?
    Thanks
Working...