looked, but couldnt find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looked, but couldnt find.

so i looked through the forums here (had a lot of fun doing it too) but couldn't find any tips for getting that damn oil filter cover bolt off. i broke an adapter, 2 sockets ( i got better ones now) and eventually ended up rounding off the bolt. anyone have a trick up their sleeve for getting that off?

and I'm thinking of putting pod filters on my 79 special. is there anything other than jetting the carbs bigger that i need to do? is there a step by step tutorial somewhere on here showing how someone else did it? im also going to try that inline fuel filter thing and eliminate the octy.

this is all assuming i did my top end rebuild correctly... fingers crossed, moment of truth should be in about 2 weeks after i get the rest of the money/parts needed.
    1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
    progress thus far...
    http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0202.jpg

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

and I'm thinking of putting pod filters on my 79 special. is there anything other than jetting the carbs bigger that i need to do? is there a step by step tutorial somewhere on here showing how someone else did it? im also going to try that inline fuel filter thing and eliminate the octy.
    i put pods on my 80 xs11`~ no need to rejet as far as i,m concerned ..i never had a problem ,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

As to the bolt, you can try pounding a smaller socket over the rounded off bolt head to get a bite. Or they sell special sockets for removing rounded off bolts. Another option is vice-grips, or use a chisel on the side of the bolt to bite into it to get it turning.

On the POD filters, there are some cheap ones you may want to stay away from. Also, the air box boots and air box serve as a mounting support for the rear of the carbs. If you go to PODS, suggest you make a mounting bracket to support the weight of the carbs.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

thanks guys, really appreciate the help. i'll post pics once im done and share any tips or tricks i might come up with along the way.
        1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
        progress thus far...

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

Comment

Remove the tank and get a friend to help you tip the bike over enough to use an impact driver with a special socket for rounded bolt heads.
          Fastmover
          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
          lion". SHL
          78 XS1100e

Comment

I have the same issue (does my bike have anything but issues!?!) Any suggestions to specific special sockets? No impact wrench available, but I have a breaker bar and a 5 foot cheater pipe!
            Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
            Ozark, Alabama

Comment

i found that irwin bolt extractor socket set works great on any rounded off bolt i think you can get those at any major auto part store
              80sg (currently getting motor swap)

Comment

Warm up the motor first. Heat helps move stuck bolts.
                79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                79 DT 100

Comment

I second DGXSER on fabricating a support for the rear of the carbs - simple job. Be a little careful with your bends so the carbs don't wind up tilting towards the engine. If anything goes wrong with your fuel setup you don't want fuel running into the engine.

Aches n Pains
                  1995 KZ100P
                  Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                  Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Irwin makes the bolt "extractor sockets" so does Craftsman. HF has some sets as well.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

It's not an impact wrench, it's an impact driver, you hold it in your hand and hit it with a hammer. You can get them at most auto parts stores or discount tool stores. Any one who works on a motorcycle should have one in their tool box.
                      Fastmover
                      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                      lion". SHL
                      78 XS1100e

Comment

Originally posted by wa407mpp View Post
                        It's not an impact wrench, it's an impact driver, you hold it in your hand and hit it with a hammer. You can get them at most auto parts stores or discount tool stores. Any one who works on a motorcycle should have one in their tool box.
                        Unless you have an air impact wrench, in which case I can't see much use for the manual type. Actually on second thought I think I can see the use for philips screws (maybe for other guys screws too )
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

i ended up using a deep well 6 SIDED (very important, i've learned the hard way) socket and hammering it on. 12 mm. just used that and a breaker bar and it came right off.
                          progress thus far...

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                            Unless you have an air impact wrench, in which case I can't see much use for the manual type...
                            The impact drivers can be handy on allen head or shouldered regular bolts too; also works for those sometimes-pesky torx screws. Sometimes the whack given to spin the driver will help loosen the bolt.

Just used mine on a couple of stubborn ones... Worked great!
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I will have to look into...well...everything that was mentioned above.
                              Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                              Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Working...
                              X