Carb re-assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb re-assembly

Besides the spring and washer, is there an o-ring on the idle mixture screw? And I just found out that the '79 Special and the '81 don't share the same gaskets Gonna be awhile before I ride. if my local shop does have the gaskets will have to order online. I guess meanwhile I can save time by building my synch tool
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

The tiny O ring goes below the washer on the 80-82 carbs.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Between the washer and spring?
      Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      The tiny O ring goes below the washer on the 80-82 carbs.
      BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Yes, the 80-81 carbs with the recessed mix screw also have he needed o-rings. Order of placement on the ilde mix screw is spring,washer,0-ring. Washer keeps spring from tearing up o-ring during rotation of screw. Both washer and o-ring are NA from Yamaha, but the same pieces are available from Suzuki. Can give you the parts numbers if needed. I believe they are also available from georgesfix also. I got both locally as that was the easiest for me.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

That's what I thought I got some from my local napa auto parts but I can't get them seated maybe too thick. Afraid of putting too much pressure on it for the threads to grab.
          Would appreciate part #'s.
          Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Yes, the 80-81 carbs with the recessed mix screw also have he needed o-rings. Order of placement on the ilde mix screw is spring,washer,0-ring. Washer keeps spring from tearing up o-ring during rotation of screw. Both washer and o-ring are NA from Yamaha, but the same pieces are available from Suzuki. Can give you the parts numbers if needed. I believe they are also available from georgesfix also. I got both locally as that was the easiest for me.
          BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30756
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Harbor Freight sells a nitrile O ring kit ($4) that will have those tiny O rings for the mixture screws. It also has the ones for the needle seats.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

parts

i bought mine for my 81SH when 1 of mine walked away. i got it from Mikes xs Part #48-5012. heres the link, go to the bottom of the page. it includes the mixture tower cover u probably wont use. he also has the mix screws. good luck

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-37.html#products
                Last edited by mjpxs11sh; 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM.
                Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
                Kerker 4/1
                stock carbs and air box.
                78 headlite, handle bars,
                1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
                crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
                78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
                94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

Along with the link Rasputin put up there, here are the part numbers from McMaster-Carr. The washer part# is 99040A316 and 0-ring# is 99040A316.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
                    That's what I thought I got some from my local napa auto parts but I can't get them seated maybe too thick. Afraid of putting too much pressure on it for the threads to grab.
                    Would appreciate part #'s.
                    Try some silicone grease lightly slathered on the assembly prior to installing.
                    HTH
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
                      Between the washer and spring?
                      Nope.........0-ring is the LAST thing that goes on up against the washer. Washer protects o-ring from damage from the spring........

Comment

Just an FYI, I have the mixture o-rings/washer for $5 for all 4 carbs (MikesXS wants $4.50 ea.). PM me if interested.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                        X