1" Neck Bearing Mod and Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1" Neck Bearing Mod and Hello!

Hey fellas, New guy here from Ma. checking in. I didn't see a "New Member Intro." section so I thought I would introduce myself and ask a question and kill two birds with one stone. I have an 80 XS1100 Special, 03 Harley Sportster 1200C, and a 93 Harley Electra glide Sport. I live in Easton Ma. The XS1100 frame is with the Tigman for a rake, stretch, and trike conversion but before I have him cut into it I would like to know if there is a neck bearing conversion kit to go to 1" taper bearings for a Harley springer front end. If I cant put a set of 1" bearings in the neck, I'm just going to have him build me a custom frame.
    Thanks guys.

You won't find a 'off-the-shelf' conversion kit for this combo, but if you pull the XS bearings out and trot down to your local bearing store they may be able to find something that fits.

The other problem you'll have is the Harley stem is a lot longer than the XS one, so you'll have to either shorten the Harley stem or weld a longer neck to the XS frame...

Welcome, but expect some blowback on chopping up yet another XS...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I think Steve said it all. I would do the check on the bearings, though. I've found that a good bearing supply house can be your friend for something like your trying to do.
      Also take note of the angle on the drive shaft! you do NOT want too lower the rear too much,as it will cause problems with the shaft and U-joint. Keep the eye to eye on the rear shocks to 11.5" at the shortest! Stock is 12.5", and one inch either way is OK, but more than that can be trouble.
      Welcome to the site, and enjoy your bike. If you have not had it on the road before your work started, you will be in for a surprise! The ONLY HD I've ridden that has the pull of the XS was an '08 Roadglide with the 103" engine. That was a nice machine, but I ride year-round and need something I can just ride. So the MNS is my "weekend" bike, and the BMW my commute bike.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sacred Steel View Post
        ...for a Harley springer front end...
        I got to thinking about the above, and your only choice may be a Harley-type neck graft. You can't reduce the distance between the top and bottom trees on a Harley springer fork without heavy mods to the forks...

You might look into a custom springer to fit the XS neck...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks fellas, I'll probably just have a custom frame built. He will use the original frame to measure for the motor mount placement. Ray, I have not had it on the road yet and will be a long project but looking forward to seeing how much power these things have. I actually have two Specials and a motor from a standard xs11. Steve, thanks for the warning on the blowback but I'm not really worried about that. to each his own and I personally don't like stock, original anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Sacred Steel View Post
            Thanks fellas, I'll probably just have a custom frame built. He will use the original frame to measure for the motor mount placement. Ray, I have not had it on the road yet and will be a long project but looking forward to seeing how much power these things have. I actually have two Specials and a motor from a standard xs11. Steve, thanks for the warning on the blowback but I'm not really worried about that. to each his own and I personally don't like stock, original anything.
            Hi Rick and welcome,
            good thought on getting a custom frame built. If the original frame has it's papers, carefully save it. A frame with good papers can keep a good bike on the road instead of being parted out.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
            X