Standing 1/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing 1/4

So I saw on a site that lists that these bikes were clocked at 11.7 seconds on a standing quarter mile. Is this really true? Somehow I don't really believe that. Has anybody had any other information about it?
    1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
    1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor
    1967 Yamaha YL2C

Not the 1980 models, but the 1978 models were indeed clocked at that. They were when introduced the fastest production bike in the 1/4 mile in the world, that is until the following model year, when the GS1100 took the crown, then the fight was on, IIRC nobody held the crown for long, and Yamaha didn't take the crown again till the introduction of the VMax. Even today, they along with the other bikes that were their direct competition are still pretty impressive when compared with modern tech considering the tech of the day.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Here Ya Go

Originally posted by Azoroth View Post
      So I saw on a site that lists that these bikes were clocked at 11.7 seconds on a standing quarter mile. Is this really true? Somehow I don't really believe that. Has anybody had any other information about it?
      http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/ads-br...-standard.html
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

The 1978 XS1100 was the first production motorcycle to break into the elevens in the 1/4 mile. That was a HUGE accomplishment. Until then the GS1000 and KZ1000 were top dog and in the low 12s. I have never ridden a late 70s GS or KZ but the time period articles I have read state the XS has excellent low end where the others need the RPMs up and into their powerband before blast off occurs. Yamaha hit the mark with the XS1100 but missed the mark with their continual second gear/dog wear issue. If I recall correctly the 1983 Honda V65 magna was the first production bike in the 10s.
        I love my 79 XS1100F and if I ever replace it it would hopefully be a 1985 V Max.

Comment

That truly is awesome. Blows my mind that they did that back then. Especially with how heavy these bikes are.

Okay so this spawns two questions from me. What was different from the 78 to the 80 that made it slower? Why would they change it to go slower? Second, what would my bike be rated at in the 1/4 mile? I have not found anything about the 80 bikes.

I've also seen two different ratings for HP most common is 95hp but my dad also found 111hp. I know each bike is different such things as simple k&n filter (which I have) can change this.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
          1967 Yamaha YL2C

Comment

Originally posted by Azoroth View Post
            Okay so this spawns two questions from me. What was different from the 78 to the 80 that made it slower? Why would they change it to go slower? Second, what would my bike be rated at in the 1/4 mile? I have not found anything about the 80 bikes..
            From 78 to 79 they changed the ignition timing (both static and curves) and the 'standard' bike lost about .3 of a second in the quarter. In 80, they got milder cams, less compression, and 'emission' type carbs but the valves were slightly larger to help offset these changes, so they only lost about another .1. In '81, more ignition/carb changes and another .1 gone. The Specials were about .1 quicker than their same-year standard bothers, due partly to slightly less weight, but mostly because of the smaller rear tire giving an effectively lower gear ratio.

According to the bike mag tests from the day, the SG was good for a 12.02 quarter mile. But you can take all these numbers with a grain of salt; the test bikes were all attended by factory techs and very carefully tuned for the absolute best performance possible and ridden by fly-weight pro riders. 'Typical' production models with a 'average' rider aboard were .3-.4 slower....

Main reason for the changes was emission standards.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

And the other issue is the "gas" we use today. The late 70's and early 80's, they had not put much ethanol into the gas, and you had more energy per pound. I DO remember my '78, and being able to pick up the front tire in the first three gears with NO problems.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                And the other issue is the "gas" we use today. The late 70's and early 80's, they had not put much ethanol into the gas, and you had more energy per pound. I DO remember my '78, and being able to pick up the front tire in the first three gears with NO problems.
                Good point. I didn't even think about that gas.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
                1967 Yamaha YL2C

Comment

Working...
                X