XJ Brake parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Brake parts

I have a front caliper dragging (noticed the left rotor was quite warm after a couple rides) and realize they probably all need to be disassembled and cleaned. I've been digging in the archives and on line and can't pin down if the pistons and seals are the same on the front and back on the XJ. I see a couple ads for parts that don't specify which one which has me wondering. On a high note I've put over 100 miles on the XJ since I bought it and each ride is a little longer and a little farther from homebase as my confidence builds in this bike.

On a similar note I found 1 thread that states the rear MC on the XJ is unique to 82XJ11 only, the front apparently is on lots of bikes which explains it being readily available. I also noticed that the front MC only drives the front right caliper and the rear MC drives the left front caliper. Before I open anything up I want at least all the seals kits laying here and maybe a replacement piston just in case. I'm in an apartment at the moment and try not to leave anything torn apart overnight so having parts on hand prior to teardown is how I like to roll. Before anyone asks I've read the advice on SS lines and I'm considering however my stockers still look like new and so far have found no package deals for the XJ brakelines in SS, would probably have to be all custom. At this point unless I see something that makes me think the lines are getting ready to fail they'll probably stay. This is the first pass on the bike since I bought it and intended to be maintenance and break/fix only. With antique tractors we talk at length about mission creep and I'm trying to keep that under control. I've done a lot of work in the parking lot and haven't had a complaint yet and need to keep it that way. Whatever I work on is running again at the end of the day. I'm also currently house hunting, last house went with the X : )
    Thanks
    John
    Last edited by WSL91; 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM.
    1970? Honda Z50... gone
    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
    1974 Honda CB200... gone
    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

The XJ has linked brakes operated by the rear brake pedal...rear brake and left front caliper...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I ressurected my XJ after 15 years and had the same dragging problem. The back was dragging, so I took apart the MC and cleaned it, no new parts. That helped the back wheel. Then I disassembled the front left caliper and cleaned the gunk out,again no new parts. Just took some 1200 grit to the piston and cleaned the crusty stuff out of the seal groove and off of the seal, then cleaned the pot and made dang sure there was no leftovers in the port. Now there is absolutely no dragging and my brakes are drum tight. I'm happier"n a tornado in a trailer park! (Towmater) On the MC, just make sure you do a good bench bleed before installing. That helps bunches.
      "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

The front caliper is unique to the XJ1100 and the XS1100LH. I can't testify on the rear of the XJ. The SS lines can be had as a package deal from Chacal (check the link in my signature) on the XJbikes site. They are so exact, they fit like a glove. Right around $228.75 for the set if you keep all the metal lines. He also sells the seal kits for the Calipers and the MC's.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I looked at the link and wasn't clear how to contact him/her. Is chaccal a forum member that needs PM'd?
          Thanks
          John
          1970? Honda Z50... gone
          1974 Honda CB200... gone
          2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

You can get the caliper parts through these guys.... http://www.hvccycle.com/brake-caliper-pistons.html
            Very nice reproduction stainless steel pistons. But don't assume you need new ones until you see what you have, same goes for the seals, otherwise you'll be spending $100 you don't need to. The XJ rear caliper for parts/pads is the same as the 'regular' Special front, the fronts are only found on the LH among XS models.

The master cylinders are unique to the XJ, so Chacal will be the source for kits. But again, don't assume yours are bad. 95% of the time, brake problems are dirt/gunk/corrosion that if cleaned out will fix any dragging issues.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Actually, after further checking things aren't quite as grim as you might think...

Rebuild kits for the front master cylinder are still available from Yamaha as these were used on different bikes all the way up until the 2000 model year. Not quite as good on the front calipers, but they share rebuild parts with 7-8 other models up to '83. The only real red-headed-stepchild in this is the rear master, which is a XJ1100 part only, including rebuild kits.

I also noticed that Chacal is still using the hoary BS about 'DOT approved' brake lines. The DOT doesn't 'approve' anything, they simply publish a specification that a manufacturer can follow then self-certify that the product meets that standard...
              Last edited by crazy steve; 03-08-2012, 02:17 PM.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I don't think they make a rebuild kit for the rear MC.
                1979 XS1100 F
                1980 XS1100 Special--Frankenstein
                1982 XJ1100 Maxium x 2
                1980 Honda CB 900
                1981 Honda CB 900
                1981 Honda CB650x2
                2003 Honda 1300 VTX Retro-sold

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  I also noticed that Chacal is still using the hoary BS about 'DOT approved' brake lines. The DOT doesn't 'approve' anything, they simply publish a specification that a manufacturer can follow then self-certify that the product meets that standard...
                  +1, finally someone else that sees that as BS
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
                    I looked at the link and wasn't clear how to contact him/her. Is chaccal a forum member that needs PM'd?
                    Thanks
                    John
                    Go to this link and click on the engine in the upper right corner. (XJ4Ever)

http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html

That'll take ya to the catalog.

If You just click on "chacal" anywhere on the site it'll take you to his contact info.
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

One note...the XJ front calipers may share parts with the LH, but I believe the bolt pattern is different and the assemblies are not interchangeable. I could be wrong...

What we need is an adapter to mount some 4-pot calipers to both the XS and XJ. Someone was working on this, but I lost track of the thread and don't know if an adapter was developed.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Well I opened up the dragging caliper and found it would extend but not retract. After pulling the piston I'm going to replace it, too much pitting in the seal area (on right side picture). Went ahead and pulled the rt caliper which was working fine and it looks good (left side of picture). Surprisingly, the seal on the seized piston looks like new, the seal on the working piston has one side chewed off. Wish I had bought 1 seal kit and 1 piston to have on hand as the bike is down now. Generally speaking I thought everything looked better than expected, brake fluid is still clear, lines look good with absolutely no cracking and the insides of the calipers were actually pretty clean. This bike had 9900 miles on it when I bought it in February 2012 and has always been indoors.

Last edited by WSL91; 03-09-2012, 03:34 PM.
                        1970? Honda Z50... gone
                        1974 Honda CB200... gone
                        2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                          One note...the XJ front calipers may share parts with the LH, but I believe the bolt pattern is different and the assemblies are not interchangeable. I could be wrong...
                          You are.

The front calipers on the LH and the XJ are EXACTLY the same parts. I have done the swap myself.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

Good to know. I have a spare set that I plan to overhaul and put on the XJ.
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                            X