instrument panel bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• instrument panel bulbs

I've been thinking I'd go to LEDs in the instrument panel but there were so many different opinions I didn't get the feeling of a consensus toward any of them. I also need to replace bulbs in my XJ650 Maxim and found they are the same: 4G1-84744-00-00 BULB (12V-3.4W T-10) in both the 650 Maxim & the 1100 Maxim. I looked at some bulbs at Auto Zone and they were two for $5 and close to the same power requirement. Pricey for not-exact replacements.

I'm concerned about getting LEDs as if they are very directional they won't illuminate properly & the wrong color might not be such a good color to see constantly at night. I saw a photo of one instrument panel illuminated by red LEDs and it looked interesting but not my choice of color.

So I'm looking for essentially original bulbs that are the original 3.4 watt rating. Any suggestions where I can find them at a decent price?

Thanks.
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

WWW.superbrightleds.com is where I bought mine as well as several other people.

I was one that went with red in the gauges and love it, and then with the specific color of the lenses for the turn, oil, and high beam lights.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I too got my bulbs from superbrightleds.com. I was actually at their facility yesterday. If you get the Amber LED bulbs with the wider spread pattern, you'll be fine as far as illuminating the gauges, and the OEM bulbs were Amber as well, so it looks exactly the same. They do offer white bulbs, but they kinda look funny IMO. Remember that LEDs will cost a bit more than regular bulbs, but the risk of them burning out is MUCH less.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
      X