Short Circuit - 1980G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Circuit - 1980G

Left Fuse in the block w/ blue wires on each end blows when I turn the key on. The wiring diagram shows it only goes to the taillight. I unplugged the large connector on the right side under the seat, that goes to the taillight assembly and it still blows.
    Is the wiring diagram wrong? or am I going to have to slice the wiring harness open and trace it out?
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G Lowered, 4-2 , Pods , Jets
    1973 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - almost original
    1973 Plymouth Duster - nothing original

That blue wire also went to the front running lights on the standards, so you should find it in the headlight shell too. If you're not using front running lights, make sure it's not grounding out or cross-connected to something. Don't get this confused with the instrument lighting, as those also used blue wire but are a different circuit.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

OK
      downloaded a owners manual for the next year and it showed front running lights, (Yamaha maintenance manual didn't show)
      I sliced up the harness from the fuse block and the wire went forward. About 6 inches into the main harness it split into 3. One went back and two went forward. I clipped the two forward and my short was gone.

got a handle on it now - Thanks Allot
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G Lowered, 4-2 , Pods , Jets
      1973 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - almost original
      1973 Plymouth Duster - nothing original

Comment

Of course now you have removed the ability to have front running lights like the bike has stock. Most likely one of the connectors in the headlight bucket was grounded out in the headlight bucket and just needed ungrounded to fix the problem. I tend to not cut the harness to fix a problem but rather fix the problem.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
        X