rear swingarm nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear swingarm nightmare

Hi I hope someone can help me before I go MAD.
    I am re building my bike and I'am at the stage of the swing arm, I just put everything together before the winter without it being torqued now its time to work on my bike again, I torqued the swingarm pivot bolts to 64nm but now that I have done that my swing arm is too wide 1,5/2 cm (it fitted ok before)
    how is this posible and how can I sort this.

PLEASE HHHHHEEEELLLLLPPPPP.

If my conversion numbers are right, you've tightened the pivots waaay too much!

The pivot bolt is only tightened to 43-52 inch-lbs (or about 4 ft-lbs). The pivot bolt locknuts get tightened to 73 ft-lbs, while not allowing the pivot bolts to turn and change adjustment.

You need to pull the swingarm back out and check to make sure you didn't damage the bearings by overtightening them; you may have put flat spots on the rollers. If they don't don't turn smoothly and easily, they're bad...

One newton-meter is equal to .7375 ft-lbs, so you need 5.4 n-m on the pivot bolts, and 99 n-m on the locknuts. I don't know where you got that 64 number....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks for the reply crazy Steve.
      I got a climer manual book that says 64nm / 47ft-lb for the pivot shaft bold and 100nm / 72ft-lb for the locknuts verry confused about the big differends in numbers from you and climers handbook.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick View Post
        Thanks for the reply crazy Steve.
        I got a climer manual book that says 64nm / 47ft-lb for the pivot shaft bold and 100nm / 72ft-lb for the locknuts verry confused about the big differends in numbers from you and climers handbook.
        It's because the clymers is wrong. It's one of the misprints that has been found that disagrees with the yamaha FSM, and guys have not only damaged the bearings using those numbers, but ruined the frame by stripping out the threads in the frame, which can be impossible (or nearly impossible) to repair. Hopefully your lucky enough to have not damaged anything and will be able to set it correctly. That's why I have both the FSM and the clymers and check specs in both, and if they don't agree then I check and verify the correct spec to make SURE of the spec.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

That's a typo in the Clymer manual (there's more than a few of those); it should read inch-lbs; the factory manual gives this as 43-52 inch-lbs. The 100 n-m on the locknuts will be close enough...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I am glad it might only cost me a bearing, compare to stripped threads.
            I thought it was a bit much for a 6mm hex key I will loosen them now thank you all for your help.

Comment

After you get them checked, when you install that swingarm, before you tighten the nuts, as you tighten that allen bolt, it will adjust the swingarm back and forth. Check the gaps between the pivot of the swingarm and the inside of the frame and get it as equal on both sides as possible before tightening the nuts.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

thanks will have to do that next weekend, just taken the tension of the frame now.
                Any idea where i can get a FSM for the xs1100?

Comment

You can download one here....

http://http://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html

Otherwise, check eBay for a used one.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Patrick, I'm sending you a PM....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

BTW.... how does drastically overtightening the pivots make the swinging arm wider?? If it was in place before tightening, then I don't see which bit is wider.... the back end?

I find Haynes manuals very good. As far as I know from using one, there are no misprints like the one mentioned. Drastic stuff.
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I don't think it made the swingarm wider, but it got pulled to one side or the other. Most likely, whichever side got torqued that much first. BUT.... I've certainly been wrong and misunderstood people before.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

James I had put everything loosly in place and the rear wheel fitted nicely.Than i had to take the wheel off to torque the swingarm when it was time to put the wheel back there was a 2cm space in between the end of the swing arm and the wheel (the part where the axle goes trough) i cant figure this out myself but somehow it is wider .
                          I have taken the tension off the pivot points now but will have to wait untill the weekend to have a closer look.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                            James I had put everything loosly in place and the rear wheel fitted nicely.Than i had to take the wheel off to torque the swingarm when it was time to put the wheel back there was a 2cm space in between the end of the swing arm and the wheel (the part where the axle goes trough) i cant figure this out myself but somehow it is wider .
                            I have taken the tension off the pivot points now but will have to wait untill the weekend to have a closer look.
                            you havent left off the spacer have you?
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots
                            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                              you havent left off the spacer have you?
                              Exactly what I just thought! I think the spacer's dropped off. There's no reason why overtightening the pivots would lead to a 2cm gap at the wheel end. I suspect he's moved the wheel about and it's dropped out somewhere......
                              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                              X