No announcement yet.

braking upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol, I was gonna ask where the hell he carried them at.
    Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      A stock rotor is about 12 pounds, and yes I HAVE PERSONALLY WEIGHED THEM!
      I've got a stack of them in the garage. I'm checking that number.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

the weight savings is way more than your wallet and cell phone...lol

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post

I've got a stack of them in the garage. I'm checking that number.

Ok, I checked my notes, I was wrong. 6 pounds each, so then it would be 12 pounds on the front total.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

maybe you wieghed both of them nate?

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
              maybe you wieghed both of them nate?
              Nope. It was when I was drawing up a pattern for drilling the rotors and I was going to see how much weight was lost when I drilled them. I know I was only working with 1 rotor when I was doing that.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by airborneXS View Post
                So ive already rebuilt the front and rear calipers and MC's, was wanting to upgrade the rotors to get the best braking possible - - - I was thinking of getting the 80's rotors ( the slotted ones ) and crossdrilling them as well....are they a direct bolt on or will it take fabrication?
                Hi Wolf,
                the slotted rotors are a straight bolt-on. So are '77 & later XS650 front rotors.
                The rotor material is tough as old boots.
                Drill press/cobalt drill bit/slow speed/heavy pressure/lotsa coolant. BTDT.
                Slots & holes swish rain off and lessen unsprung weight.
                Stainless brake lines make a great improvement.
                Unless you wanna get rabid about caliper upgrades you are stuck with the swivelly calipers that work OK I guess but my instincts say a caliper that needs tapered pads ain't designed right.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

wow lots of info in a short period of time...im just as much about looks as i am about performance...i like all show and all go...lol...i forgot i do have stainless lines...i like the look of the ebc rotors...and I started out on racing crotchrockets, plus i like to carry a couple padlocks on my bikes and lock the front and rear rotors with em....had a few bikes jacked by people just rolling them away, kinda hard to that with a padlock on the rotors though....
                  79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
                  Moto Militia MC

Comment

are the ebc rotors a direct bolt on?
                    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
                    Moto Militia MC

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      I'll leave my wallet at home next time to make up for the difference in unsprung weight. Maybe my cell phone too because I'm kinda poor.
                      Unsprung weight is weight that is not supported by the suspension. Lowering unsprung weight improves handling and suspension performance. A part of the weight of the front wheel is the front rotors, so if you can cut the weight of them significantly you make the steering easier and the suspension more responsive to irregularities in the road.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but that's my understanding of it. However much I would LOVE to have those rotors, there is just NO WAY I can even start to fit them into my budget.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

what years rear rotors fit on my 79 special? if i get these ebc rotors ( which I love them ) id like to find the matching rear rotor, but the cheapest I can find the rear ebc is 220...

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                        Moto Militia MC

Comment

are the ebc rotors a direct bolt on?
                          Yep, they are, other than making sure you use the right type of pads, which IIRC is the organic pads, NOT the semi metalic/sintered or ceramic pads (yes, I have found ceramic pads for our bikes, and yes they are rather pricey). The stock rotors are hard enough to use any of the three types of pads with little wear, but the EBC's as I understand will not stand up to anything harder than the organic pads.
                          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          750 FD Mod
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but that's my understanding of it.
                            .........says Cy...... as he ducks..........
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

what years rear rotors fit on my 79 special? if i get these ebc rotors ( which I love them ) id like to find the matching rear rotor, but the cheapest I can find the rear ebc is 220...
                              All years use the same rotors, except some are slotted. However, it's been found that SOME have a different offset, but there is NO pattern to what bikes and what position has said offset and it doesn't show in the books. So you MIGHT find yours are all exactly the same, or that two are the same and one is dished a little different, but in theory they are supposed to all be the same according to the book.
                              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              750 FD Mod
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

(yes, I have found ceramic pads for our bikes, and yes they are rather pricey).
                                Someone on here recommended SBS ceramic brakes to me. Expensive? Here's my receipt:

PHP Code:
                                SKU 1606277SBS-528HF 2672961721-0240 605615437-83936-01-00BAND,SWITCH CORD *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
                                Part Number Description PAD YAM FRT BRAKE PADS SBS 545HF1 12 * * * * * * *

QtyPrice 1$9.88 $23.12 $0.88 Sub Total Shipping State Tax Specialty Tax Total $0.00 Coupons $0.00 Grand Total $48.60 

Ext
                                Price $9.88 $23.12 $10.60 * $43.60 $5.00 $0.00 
                                That's about $30 for both calipers. I got them at Ron Ayers.

I haven't been able to try them out yet.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X