braking upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• braking upgrade

So ive already rebuilt the front and rear calipers and MC's, was wanting to upgrade the rotors to get the best braking possible ( eventually my plan with this bike when i finish rebuilding my r1 is to turbo it.... ) I was thinking of getting the 80's rotors ( the slotted ones ) and crossdrilling them as well....are they a direct bolt on or will it take fabrication?
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

personally i wouldnt worry to much
    about the rotors, have u got s/s brake
    lines, thatl make a bigger difference to ur braking.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I have EBC rotors for sale in the parts section. Semi floating they do work better and are lighter. Look WAY better also. Usually are $215 apiece.
      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
        I have EBC rotors for sale in the parts section. Semi floating they do work better and are lighter. Look WAY better also. Usually are $215 apiece.
        ......as long as you use EBCreccomended brake pads for those particular rotors..............or u will be able to shave with those rotors inside a year............just sayin.....
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I wouldn't fool with the brakes other than possibly the SS lines. They were way over engineered in the first place.

The slotted rotors do cool better but I don't think you'll ever notice the difference other than the looks.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

our callipers are of a floating kind,
            didnt think u could use a floating disc
            with a floating calliper, is that right?

slotted rotors also help water dissipation.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I don't see how there COULD be a floating rotor on these bikes.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

just as a footnote here I would like to add that no matter how good your brakes are they are still dependant on that little patch of rubber that contacts the road. My STOCK brakes work good enough to skid the tires so exactly what is the point of "upgrading"?
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I love how you guys judge with no experience, how liberal minded of you. I bought them for looks alone, they modernize the look. These are semi floating. But I found they do improve braking and thats the weak point of these bikes as you have all alluded to before.

Personally I think they improved braking as much as stainless lines did, but then I have used them, what do I know.

And they drop weight where its most important, but thats another story yall wont believe.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

And they drop weight where its most important, but thats another story yall wont believe.
                    How much weight can you drop with a rotor?
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

seriously you have held the stock rotors right? and does unsprung weight mean anything to you?. And yes you should use recommended pads......wow! Most of us probably use EBC pads anyway. Geez.

Comment

seriously you have held the stock rotors right? and does unsprung weight mean anything to you?.
                        I'll leave my wallet at home next time to make up for the difference in unsprung weight. Maybe my cell phone too because I'm kinda poor.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I love how you guys judge with no experience, how liberal minded of you. I bought them for looks alone, they modernize the look. These are semi floating. But I found they do improve braking and thats the weak point of these bikes as you have all alluded to before.

Personally I think they improved braking as much as stainless lines did, but then I have used them, what do I know.

who was judging?
                          i just asked a question.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            I'll leave my wallet at home next time to make up for the difference in unsprung weight. Maybe my cell phone too because I'm kinda poor.
                            lol greg, only if u have ur fone and wallet attached
                            to the front axle. :-)
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots

Comment

A stock rotor is about 12 pounds, and yes I HAVE PERSONALLY WEIGHED THEM!
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X