a word to the wise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a word to the wise

be very careful when you tighten your oil filter bolt. i got mine too tight and now i"m paying the price. rounded off the bolt and it went down hill from there. cut a slot no help. in the process of grinding the head of the bolt off o well live and learn

I am in the same boat as you bud
    1981 yamaha xs eleven standard

Comment

I have not done it but have seen several threads here where people have done the same thing before you are not the first and will not be the last. You may try searches on what others have done to get the remaining bolt out. My empathy
      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
      1980 G Silverbird
      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
      1198 Overbore kit
      Grizzly 660 ACCT
      Barnett Clutch Springs
      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
      122.5 Main Jets
      ACCT Mod
      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
      Antivibe Bar ends
      Rear trunk add-on
      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

ebay as i type Item number: 190646794117
        careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

It is easy to overtighten it. As long as the darned thing dosn't vibrate loose, it is the O-ring that makes the seal to prevent oil leakage. (you know that already)
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Well, least U could make a couple oil changes while you ponder your deliema. May try snappin a pair of GOOD vise gips on the buggared head and pop the vise-grip handle right smartly with a hammer. I remember having the same thing happen some 30yrs. ago on my Venturer.......run the weld leads outside shop where I worked and welded a nut on the bottom and while it was still a bit hot put a wrench on there and hit the wrench with a hammer........instantly worked, so just snugged it up a bit till I got home and changed the oil putting a new filter bolt on.........lesson learned, and never forgot.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Well, least U could make a couple oil changes while you ponder your deliema. May try snappin a pair of GOOD vise gips on the buggared head and pop the vise-grip handle right smartly with a hammer. I remember having the same thing happen some 30yrs. ago on my Venturer.......run the weld leads outside shop where I worked and welded a nut on the bottom and while it was still a bit hot put a wrench on there and hit the wrench with a hammer........instantly worked, so just snugged it up a bit till I got home and changed the oil putting a new filter bolt on.........lesson learned, and never forgot.
              I removed all Vise Grip style pliers from my box after a similar event with a SBC head bolt. Got em tight as possible... they slipped around. Went to release the Vise Grips, they wouldn't come unlocked. Hammer in one hand and other hand over handle of pliers.... gave it a tap and they came unlocked and it unlocked one of my fingers around to the back side of my wrist. Now a days if the channel locks or pipe wrench can't remove the broken bolt my Lincoln and a big nut should!
              Don
              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

That's why torque wrenches are made. Get one. Use it Keep it calibrated.
                Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Yep, sorry to hear about your problem.

I know it is after the fact but, when installing the new bolt, I recommend you use 6-point sockets as the more common 12-point sockets will round a bolt head off much more easily. Also, filler bolt 20-25 pound feet, drain plug 30 pound feet. Use a torque wrench and this will never happen again. In fact, use a torque wrench on most everything with clean, lubricated threads and you will hardly ever have bolts stripping out delicate aluminum threads or becoming loose during operation. One of the best tools you will ever buy.
                  Mike Giroir
                  79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

happened to me! PO had it too tight and i ended up in a similar situation with the vise grips. still haven't done anything about it...planning to try and file the bolt head when i change the oil next.
                    80 XS1100G

Comment

You may also be able to use a chisel and a hammer, try to get the chisel to bite into the bolt head and nock it loose.

Not to kick you when your down, but, this is a good example of a discussion we had some time ago about the need for a torque wrench. Some members stating that the old stand by "good-n-tight" was all that was needed. With the steel on aluminum of most of the bolts on these bikes, the torque is pretty important. I have a 3/8" beam type you can get at Sears for about $20. Works great for me.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

been there done that, as tadracer said....put the 12 point socket away. if you don't have a 6 point socket go buy one. save yourself a lot of grief.
                        testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

Working...
                        X