Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New seat, exhaust-system and center stand WANTED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New seat, exhaust-system and center stand WANTED!

hi,

I have an XS1100s (as you can se on my profile pic) and its from 1982. You can se more picture of it on the link below.

http://photobucket.com/felixth1

What happened was that when I moved it for the annual service, it tilted and now my seat and exhaust is now wrecked.
    So, now I need to find new ones.

With my old exhaust-system I couldn't have a center stand, so I'm looking for a system that is compatible with the stand.

I don't like this seat for the XS11 and I can't find an original looking for sale on WWW. But I found this one (link below) that I like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1981-Ya...#ht_1035wt_980

Will it fit my XS1100s - 1982?
    If anyone have better suggestion I'll be listening...

So, if anyone can help me and give me tips I would be grateful...
    --- XS1100s 1982 (5K7-European)----

What you have is an XS1100 Midnight Special and its NOT from 1982...prolly a 1981 but I'm not the expert on the Midnights' but I know in 1982 the model designation was changed to XJ1100...of which I have one... I dont know if that seat will fit your bike or not...I'm sure others will give their opinions...its hard to tell without seeing the bottom side of it... Oh and Welcome to XS11 forum...
    Last edited by madmax-im; 03-01-2012, 08:04 AM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Your bike would be classified as an 81 Midnight.
      (Easiest way to tell is the wheels. 81 had the swirly gold wheels)

Not sure about the seat as the pic they have with the seat mounted on a bike has it mounted on something different than an XS.
      Unless I'm just seeing things... which is entirely possible.
      lol

Oh! and welcome to the site!
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
        Your bike would be classified as an 81 Midnight.
        (Easiest way to tell is the wheels. 81 had the swirly gold wheels)

Not sure about the seat as the pic they have with the seat mounted on a bike has it mounted on something different than an XS.
        Unless I'm just seeing things... which is entirely possible.
        lol

Oh! and welcome to the site!
        looks like it's got parts from different bikes or maybe that's the way the sold them over there. The wheels say 81 LH but the engine, front rotors, badges, swing arm caps and air box say different.
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
          looks like it's got parts from different bikes or maybe that's the way the sold them over there. The wheels say 81 LH but the engine, front rotors, badges, swing arm caps and air box say different.
          Oh well carp... never looked at where he was located so I went for the easy ID.
          Maybe a 1.1?
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Maybe some across the pond more familiar with that can help. Look on left side of steering neck on frame for model #. Look on top of right side engine case for model# also.....see if they match. As far as that seat pictured in the link......isn't happening on your bike pictured...BTW, post the model numbering U find here......that'll seal the deal on the model you got......Does NOT look to be a 'frankenbike', just a certain Euro or Asussie model.....
            Last edited by motoman; 03-01-2012, 02:28 PM.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I think you're right

Felix, these guys will probably be able to help you out a great deal...
              XS1100 UK site

Here's the link to the model ID table:

Serial number and Model ID

HTH
              81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

That is likely a '81 'Sport', kind of a cross between a Special and the MNS. That's a euro-only bike, it's closest relative would be the RH from AU/NZ. The only part he's asking about that's the same as the US bikes is the centerstand (Special stand); I suspect you could install a Special exhaust, but the parts fiche shows a different number. Same goes for the seat, a that-model-only number, although the one that's on the bike doesn't look OEM...
                Last edited by crazy steve; 03-01-2012, 10:16 PM.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hi everyone,

Well, after reading and had a look on the list of Serial number and Model ID I'm sure it's an Yamaha XS1100S 5K7 - European.
                  I'm living in Sweden and it's hard to get parts here.

The seat looks awful before and after it tilted, It's not an OEM and I think it's none XS11 and I don't necessarily need one either.

As the seat linked before looks god and will probably fit according to one from UK XS1100. He says that every seat from XS1100 will fit any of the XS1100 models and year. I hope that's true.

Does anyone have a seat or exhaust to sell?
                  I've got a center stand now..

Is there any performance difference between 4-2 or 4-1, which one is best?
                  And will the bike run much better with sport air filter?
                  --- XS1100s 1982 (5K7-European)----

Comment

Originally posted by Felix_Th View Post
                    As the seat linked before looks good and will probably fit according to one from UK XS1100. He says that every seat from XS1100 will fit any of the XS1100 models and year. I hope that's true.
                    Okay.. somebody correct when I'm wrong here... lol

Not all seats will fit all models. Standard seats won't fit Specials and for the Specials, I'm not certain a 79 will fit anything but a 79.
                    The 80 and 81 were interchangeable though... but I'm not sure how the RH fits into all of this.
                    Doesn't it have a cowl on the back?

and I'm still pretty certain the seat that you linked to is not mounted on an XS. I'd be leary of that one...

Is there any performance difference between 4-2 or 4-1, which one is best?
                    And will the bike run much better with sport air filter?
                    This is a whole other can of worms best opened in the XS/XJ discussion area... be prepared.
                    lol
                    81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

Pretty much right there Wildcat, the location of the TCI on the 79 pretty much deters use of other XS seats unless location of that is changed,IIRC. Looks to me the Euro model's seat across the bottom edge would be the same as the early Standard(78). Now after purchasing my 81 Venturer new, unknowingly back then I put a new factory optional double bucket seat on it. It was for an 80-81 Special, with the base dipping down somwhat midway. Of course not being aware of the differences back then I remove the two rear underside rubber bumpers so it would go down far enough to get retainers to slip over the holding slots, plus it always rode against the top of the side-covers where it dips down at. When I got that bike back after selling it, it still had that seat on it all those years and was in sad shape. I gave it to DiverRay on his jaunt around the country when he was pulling that LittleRedWagon with the MNS in it. A standard seat on a special DOES fit, and vise-versa, no matter what the urban myths are. Lower pan just don't follow the lines of the bike and kinda leaves a gap. Some say the Special seat won't fit the Standard or the Venturer cause of the abrupt rise of the tank. The front cushion part just rides up abruptly on the tank is all, and actually helps keep one from the constant forward sliding. So, as far as Felix's situation, I would say, visually, that bike would fall more along the lines of the U.S. Standard, so any year Standard seat(cept 79), IMO would work.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi Felix. Just trying to help get you sorted with your seat. I've got a 79 Special and it's got an RH sport seat on it, which is identical to the Euro Sport seat

^ The black one

One of the other fellows on the Australian site had an RH and bought a seat from the US which fitted, but was apparently off a late model standard - G/H?? and it lacked the rear hump and grab handles. From what i can gather, the Venture used the same frame as a special, so the seat off one of those may fit too. Early Standards will NOT fit due to the TCI placement and sidecover height. Other than that, I'd be asking around on the UK or German sites for one of these as they were marketed over there and you stand a much better chance of coming across an original.
                        And don't forget Ebay. I've found many hard to get parts there.

UK site link - CLICK

European link page - http://www.xs1100.co.uk/xslinks.htm

Oh yes, Steve. The exhausts have different part numbers only because the Sports has the black Chrome finish, like the Midnight Specials. Other than that, they're exactly the same
                        Last edited by Eveready1100; 03-02-2012, 11:48 PM.
                        79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                        Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                        *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                        *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                          From what i can gather, the Venture used the same frame as a special, so the seat off one of those may fit too. Early Standards will NOT fit due to the TCI placement and sidecover height.
                          The Venturer (note the extra "r", the one without the extra "r" is not an XS) doesn't use quite the same frame as a special, but rather it's frame is a cross between a standard and a special and uses the special exhaust but same side covers and seat configuration (pan wise) as the 80 standard. I think it uses the same luggage rack as the 80 standard as well, it's things that attach to the peg area that match up to the special and it has the slotted rotors like the special as well. However, as motoman mentioned, other than the spacing between the side covers being strange and tank space issues the seats interchange between 80-81 standards and specials just fine. They will fit, but they might not look quite right, and you might have to work at it a bit to get a special seat to sit all the way down in front on a standard, fredintoon says the front of the pan interferes with it fitting all the way down, not just the padding, but not having tried it I don't know.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                          X