XJ Restoration, need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Restoration, need some advice

I decided to tear my bike down to clean it up and do some repainting and repairs. The tranny fix needs to be done and I've discovered a hole in the right underside of the frame, here's a pic using a mirror on the floor beneath it.

I knew the center stand was missing but it appears to have been removed by an unconventional method! Anyone have any experience in repairing something like this? The bracket on the left side is intact. I have a complete parts bike I picked up cheap last year (10K miles and inspection sticker expired June of '85, no title) so I have parts. Any advice? I'd really like to have the center stand back.

The other question I have is should I leave the motor in the bike to fix the tranny? I want to pull it to clean it and paint it but wonder if it would be easier to tackle the gear fix while the motor is still in the frame as opposed to having just the motor/tranny on a bench? Here is a "before" and "current" photo of the bike.

The carbs and rear fender have also been removed at this point, too. This will also help me to determine how much fun from owning the bike comes from riding it vs. working on it...hey that might be a good poll question.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

If you've gone that far disassembling, might as well fix the gears with the motor on the bench (much easier) and have the frame welded without the motor in there. Gonna have to fab up a centerstand bracket maybe by copying the good one.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

How does the frame on your parts bike look? That doen't look good right there. Either it was ripped off by a hard hit or it's heavily rusted and fell off, right at the rear engine mounting point. It could be cracked or bent.

It might be easier/less expensive and safer to try and get a title for the other frame if its sound.

IMHO
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The hole feels a little jagged so I'm guessing the stand was ripped off. I put a couple thousand miles on it last year and I don't see where the damage is getting any worse...good thing right? But it needs to be fixed.

I think the title in NY is going to be an issue for the parts bike. A very pleasant and helpful gentleman at the DMV told me the only way for me to get a title is for the original owner sign his over to me or, if the original is lost, to apply for a replacement title which he then would sign over to me. I knowingly bought the bike sans title from a guy who bought it from a woman who has had it under a tarp since 1985 when she and her boyfriend/hubby split up and he left the bike behind when leaving the state. With my luck I'd never track him down, and if I did he'd want the bike back...jeez I hope he's not a member here!
        I figured after 25+ years it was certainly abandoned and I'd be OK buying it.
        Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

I'd cut that piece off your untitled frame and weld it in, but the welding will have to be done right. If you're not sure about your welding skills, have a pro do it. I'd also strip the bike to the bare frame to do this to make sure there's no stress on the frame.

Good time to have the frame powdercoated....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

For what its worth I'm not a bike genius. But welding is up my alley. These frames are pretty solid id grab some sand paper and take off the paint and rust around the hole and check it for stress cracks. The find some steel at least as thick or thicker that the frame tubing. And make a patch as big as you can make it. Id say overlap the hole by at least a inch on each side of the hole. Then weld it in in spots moving around the patch. You don't want a continous bead all the way around it. Make a short weld then move to the opisite side and keep moving around it till it completely welded all the way around. The idea is not to get it too hot that will make the metal your welding onto more likely to get soft and tear under stress. By jumping aroundd the whole thing will stay cooler. Take your time. It will be plenty strong.
            1982 xj 1100
            "The Ape"
            http://youtu.be/AiQ8CqclHr4

Comment

Working...
            X