Middle/Final drive fill plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle/Final drive fill plug

removal/installation frustrations are easily eliminated by the use of 12mmX 1.25 pitch, nice shiney shouldered fill/drain plugs from your local AceHardware or like store. Along with the use of the nice fitting thick fibered 1/2" washer, removal is cuss word free! Use one sealing washer for the middle drive and double-up the washers on the final drive to accomadate for the recess in the casting. Eliminates the cussin' and choice expressions such as: "Walt Disney designed, Mickey Mouse etc., etc." expressions. They look 'correct' and make life easier using a 13mm wrench/socket for removal. Definitely averts having to use vise-grips or popping loose with a chisel notch made from prior removal..........
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

I took one of those easy to find drain plugs and rolled it on my bench grinder to just the right size for the recess in the fd. Took about 10 min and fits perfect.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That thought DID cross my mind Nate, but didn't want to remove finish and create a rust magnet area. Either way, the cheap and simplest 'upgrade'.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Even after I finally managed to get the expletive deleted stock filler plugs out of there and could see the thread size it didn't occur to Mr Stupid that the drain plugs would also fit in the filler holes.
        What I did was to drill the cratered hexagon recesses out to 6mm diameter, saw off two M6 bolts to ~1/4" long and braze them into the drilled holes.
        Gotta use an 11mm box-end to get the plugs out rather than a 13mm but it sure beats fighting the plug with a hex key you can't push straight down on.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
        X