No announcement yet.

To YICS or not to YICS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one further correction...YICS is Yamaha Integrated Carbeuration System rather than Yamaha Induction Carb.Sys or so I think..but who knows for sure Tod?
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

YICS

See, I told you I was anal retentive.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        Those YICS ports might have a use if you wanted to run EFI or nitrous...

Yeah, I have given that some serious thought and had quite a few discussions with the machinist I use to bore the cylinders and work on the heads I take him. He's built race cars for years and years. On the bike, I use a set of XS cylinders with the XJ head on top of that. With that YICS tube gone off the back of the cylinders, those ports going to the head are about halfway exposed past the cooling fins on the back. A little grinding to the fins, and it would give you a place to plug in for the nitrous.

I was wondering if they made a 25hp shot of nitrous, then got to talking to a guy that builds race bikes a couple weekends ago at a bike swap meet. He said that most of the nitrous bikes he built used a 12.5 hp shot. I think that would be a hoot and don't think the bike would have any problem handling it. You could change nozzles and go up or down on the HP. It would be an expensive hoot though..
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Not to mention tha tank taking up valuable cooler space.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Naw.. nitrous would go UNDER the seat. Ice chest goes ON the seat. Plus, a quick hit of the nitrous button would probably get rid of all that pesky water out of the cooler from the ice melting.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
              Yeah, I have given that some serious thought and had quite a few discussions with the machinist I use to bore the cylinders and work on the heads I take him. He's built race cars for years and years. On the bike, I use a set of XS cylinders with the XJ head on top of that. With that YICS tube gone off the back of the cylinders, those ports going to the head are about halfway exposed past the cooling fins on the back. A little grinding to the fins, and it would give you a place to plug in for the nitrous.

I was wondering if they made a 25hp shot of nitrous, then got to talking to a guy that builds race bikes a couple weekends ago at a bike swap meet. He said that most of the nitrous bikes he built used a 12.5 hp shot. I think that would be a hoot and don't think the bike would have any problem handling it. You could change nozzles and go up or down on the HP. It would be an expensive hoot though..
              Would one be able to plumb nitrous into the threaded end of the YICS tube on a YICS bike?
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

No. You're talking a pretty small amount of air/fuel mixture being drawn in from the YICS ports versus the carbs. I suspect you may hear or feel something a little different by getting a tiny amount of nitrous in there, but it's sure not going to be worth the time, effort, and money to do it that way. They sure don't give away the refills on those nitrous bottles.

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

I thought nitrous was pressurized and would push its way into the cyl instead of being drawn through, as was mentioned.
                  "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Originally posted by XJkid View Post
                    I thought nitrous was pressurized and would push its way into the cyl instead of being drawn through, as was mentioned.
                    Nos is pressurized. It's a pressurized liquid. the bottle has a siphon tube running thru it. You use the head pressure in the bottle to push the liquid up the tube. Remember you have to spray gasoline with the Nos OR have 1 hell of an enrichment program figured out when you push the button. Dry manifold Kits (where the Nos is injected into the air intake) make a ton of power but are very hard on parts. The only way to get them to work correctly is with EFI so the computer can adjust the timing and pulse length of the injectors to compensate for the extra cold dense air you just forced down the pipe. this is why most Nos kits are a spray bar under the Carb or Throttle body or direct injection. So you can run the Gas to nos ratio right there @ the injection source. All Nos is once it enters the motor is nitrogen enriched oxygen... cold Liquid air! with out matching the Gas ratio to the extra air you'll find the inside of your engine is now part of the outside
                    Don
                    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

[ with out matching the Gas ratio to the extra air you'll find the inside of your engine is now part of the outside [/QUOTE]

.....Aaaand that's bad, right? I just wanted to get this settled in my mind so I don't start cooking up some hair-brained idea for the YICS ports once I disable the system. Now I can put my creative thinking into something that will actually go somewhere.
                      "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                        cold Liquid air!
                        Anyone have a line on some LOX?
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by XJkid View Post
                          [ with out matching the Gas ratio to the extra air you'll find the inside of your engine is now part of the outside
                          .....Aaaand that's bad, right? I just wanted to get this settled in my mind so I don't start cooking up some hair-brained idea for the YICS ports once I disable the system. Now I can put my creative thinking into something that will actually go somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Yes that would be bad... I'd rather not see my pistons hanging out by my headers! I've put NOS on all sorts of crazy things in my life. We did a few quads, a jet ski, and even a racing lawn mower (insert Red Neck joke here!)

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                          I got liquid oxygen @ work... be really hard to put a 180L 230psi Dewer on your bike thou Nate. They only weigh 600 lbs!
                          Don
                          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            Heh heh... That's been tried Nate....

Connie Kallita (of NHRA top fuel fame) tried that back in the late 60s. Added a ton of power (about 30% more that what they were currently getting, without the power loss/weight of a supercharger) but tended to send the piston tops out the exhaust pipes as vapor about every third run...
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                              I got liquid oxygen @ work... be really hard to put a 180L 230psi Dewer on your bike thou Nate. They only weigh 600 lbs!
                              We will build a trailer for it!

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                              Heh heh... That's been tried Nate....

Connie Kallita (of NHRA top fuel fame) tried that back in the late 60s. Added a ton of power (about 30% more that what they were currently getting, without the power loss/weight of a supercharger) but tended to send the piston tops out the exhaust pipes as vapor about every third run...
                              Titanium piston?
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X