Tire pressure overinflation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire pressure overinflation

Was going over the XJ I picked up last week. Checked the tire date codes and the rear is 4 years old Kenda and looks like new, the front is 5 years old Dunlop and looks like new except with cracking around the bead and sidewalls. PO reports both were put on new last year. Went to check air pressure and the rear was around 25lbs. The front was somewhere near 80lbs. I lowered it to 40 which is what I run on my Honda and I think the tire says 25. I think I know the reason this tire failed prematurely. I have a new front tire on order.
    1970? Honda Z50... gone
    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
    1974 Honda CB200... gone
    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

I was told by a car tire dealer that overinflating tires can cause separation of the meat from the carcas. I am not sure how much over you can go before damage occurs, because this is sometimes done when seating the bead on a tubeless tire to the rim.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
      I was told by a car tire dealer that overinflating tires can cause separation of the meat from the carcas. I am not sure how much over you can go before damage occurs, because this is sometimes done when seating the bead on a tubeless tire to the rim.
      If you inflate the tire to max pressure cold and then ride the bike, it WILL exceed the max pressure. This is however fine, as the max pressure is a COLD pressure and the pressure rise from heat rise when riding is figured into the equation.

Now here is where the arguments start. What tire pressure to use. If I try to use the pressure the manual states with modern tires, the bike wallows like a pig and the tires wear really fast. If I run 40 on the rear and 38 on the front the bike handles well, and I get good even tire wear. This of course assumes the tires you are running have a max pressure that is at least 40 psi. The true calculation of proper tire pressure is only able to be determined by determining the max load of the tire and how much load the bike is putting on the tire as loaded compared to max load.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

temperature

I use an rule of keeping the pressure rise in the tyre to less than +4lbs, all things being equal. ie - cold to hot should not be more than 4 lb if so increase (or decrease) cold inflation by the difference. Has worked my old bikes and 4WD for years.
        Stoffa

XS11 H '82
        XS2 '72
        XS2(US) '72
        XS650 '76
        XS650sp '79
        XS650sp '80
        GL1800 '06

Comment

I replaced the front tire today. First motorcycle tire I've changed. I've changed truck tires before. The sidewalls were very stiff on the tire I took off, the new one was much more pliable. Bought a Harbor Freight bead breaker and wheel balancer.
          1970? Honda Z50... gone
          1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
          1974 Honda CB200... gone
          1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
          1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
          2008 Honda VTX 1800F
          1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Working...
          X