Tools for new bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for new bike?

I ran into a title issue with the 82 XJ I picked up last weekedn. I hope to have that resolved next week, the previous owners never transferred the title a couple sales back and that surfaced when transferring the title between states.

In the meantime I've picked up the tools necessary for tire changing, I can use those with my Honda as well so a safe purchase. Have a new front tire coming for the XJ (wont install till I have a title). I have a link for the colortune and carbtune tools which I will buy when I see a title, I believe that if you are going to own this type of bike then you are going to need the tools to support it. its just part of the cost of having the bike.

What are people using for a screwdriver to adjust the carb(s)? I've been out poking around but I suspect some long flexible device is needed for reaching the inner carbs? On my Honda Shadow you could get the idle mix from the side with standard tools, On the VTX 1300 my buddy has its on the bottom and he has a fixed 90 deg tool for adjusting that, My 1800 VTX is FI so nothing needed so I don't own anything that long.

Last edited by WSL91; 02-26-2012, 06:19 AM.
    1970? Honda Z50... gone
    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
    1974 Honda CB200... gone
    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

For adjusting the screws without pulling the tank, try THIS.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

try this

Howdy,,,, I have XS and XJ 1100's and the easiest way to adjust the carbs, synching or idle adjust is to get a 2-3 foot 2x4 length, lift up the front of the tank after removing the rear attach bolt, slide it back until the tank is slid out of the front slider grooves,,,,,then slide in the 2x4 piece and there is plenty of room to work without disconnecting fuel lines. When done just pull out the 2x4 and put tank back in place. This tip is complements of The Wiz, located in N.Carolina, a master of xs tuning................Mike in S.DIego
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

almost forgot

Almost forgot,,,the seat has to be removed first then slide the tank back a bit and slide in the 2x4......much easier than trying to get a screwdriver in the tight spots especially when hot, which creates many new words when adjusting and skin touches engine parts...........Mike in Sun DIego
        mike
        1982 xj1100 maxim
        1981 venture bagger
        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
        1959 wife

Comment

I have a regular long, thin screwdriver that I custom ground the blade a little thinner to fit in the screw holes. I take the tank and reverse direction, so it's pointing backward, on top of where the seat would normally be. If you aim it just right, you can get to all 4 carbs directly from above, between the frame and electrical components.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
          X