No announcement yet.

Electrical Gremlins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i forgot to mention that when i first got the bike, the spot that the 30a is supposed to be, im guessing this is the main fuse, was completely removed from the circuit. the wires were taken off and stuck together. i rode it home like that, and when i first got it home, i saw that, put them back where i thought they went and plugged in a 20a fuse. since then, possibly 1000k miles, its blown twice. i plugged another 20a fuse and rode. then this morning all the electrical problems really started...
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

Comment

The main fuse is 30A.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
        While the ballast resistor could cause that, it wouldn't cause the normal starter button to not work.
        lol cy, thats what i said, third line down,
        just thought it wouldnt hurt to check.

looking at his fuse holder and connections,
        clean those up and replace the fuse block
        like ur doing and see how it is afterwards.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

yep that

looks like a real good place to start. When replacing that panel youll have good acess to the big connections for cleaning.
          mack
          79 XS 1100 SF Special
          HERMES
          original owner
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
          SPICA
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
          IOTA
          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
          Frankford, Ont, Canada
          613-398-6186

Comment

i just ordered the fuse panel from TC, but i need to get this running at least temporarily, as its the only transpo i have at the moment. both the wifes bike and the R1 are down at the moment with worse problems than the xs....awaiting parts on both of them...
            79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
            Moto Militia MC

Comment

clean up all the connections and fuse block terminals,
              and make sure the terminals on the fuse
              block are secure and have good contact to the fuses
              then go from there.

just out of curiosity, whats wrong with ur r1,
              i was thinking of getting a newer bike and wondering
              what goes wrong with them.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

R1

Nothing is wrong with them. Quite the contrary. My 2009 R1 is my favorite vehicle, car or bike, of all time. I crashed it though, pretty severely. I hit a patch of oil in the rain, was coming up on a light, it went red and i went to press the brakes. I hit both front and rear at the same time....one second i was up, and the next second I was flat on my ass sliding backwards into oncoming traffic. my helmet never touched the ground, and my MC cut, leather jacket and jeans only had a few small scuffs. As i was going into oncoming traffic I maneuvered my self in between the bike and the oncoming car and pushed away as hard as I could. I basically slide to a stop and was jumping up as the car hit my bike, and the bike took me out at the knee caps...my knees, already needing surgery from a few bad airborne landings, now definitely need surgery... ( I am no stranger to sliding on the ground, I was a paratrooper and got drug a few times, one jump I should never have walked away from...I believe this helped me keep my cool and do what i had to do...had I not pulled the bike in between me and the car I probably would not be here today...I remember it vividly ). I was unaware tho that my ins was out of date, by a few days. I thought that the payment came out of my account, but because of miscommunication, it wasnt current. So its been sitting in my garage waiting on me to gather parts....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                Moto Militia MC

Comment

none of the wires on my fuse box look the way they state in the wiring diagram or pictures of stock fuse boxes...WTF do i do now? to quote Bill Paxton in one of my favorite movies

"That's great. That's just ****ing great, man! Now what the **** are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty **** now man! Game's over man, game's ****ing over! What the **** are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do???"

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                  Moto Militia MC

Comment

i probably didnt word that to well,
                    was just wondering if they had any gremlins,
                    was thinking of getting a late model r1 or gsxr1000,

sorry to hear about the acco,
                    that sux big time, hope u heal up fast.

if u find a post from catatonicbug at the bottom of his signature
                    u can download a manual, that might be able to help
                    u sort the electical problem.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots

Comment

I have a clymers manual....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                      Moto Militia MC

Comment

i havent downloaded the manual from
                        bug so im not sure whats in it,
                        or if its any different to the clymers,
                        theres a wiring diagram in the back of the clymers
                        are u able to follow that?
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots

Comment

found catatonics page, but i cant access the pdf files, i click them but it goes to a blank scree...i hate computers...

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                          Moto Militia MC

Comment

Crazy wire madness!!!!

if you look at my pics, maybe you can help me figure out whats what and what goes where......none of the wires appear to be going where they are supposed to...If Im reading correctly, each post has one wire going in and one wire going out. the far right post has 2 going in and 2 going out. none of the wires even resembles whats supposed to be there. im surprised it hasnt caught fire before...

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                            Moto Militia MC

Comment

ive got an aussie model sports,
                              the wiring different compared to the
                              us models.
                              hopefully some1 will chime in soon.
                              pete

new owner of
                              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                              zrx carbs
                              18mm float height
                              145 main jets
                              38 pilots

Comment

While the fusebox isn't stock, that's a lot cleaner than what some have found!

Your PO obviously had at the wiring, so your only choice will be to trace everything until you understand what was done.... there's no 'easy' answer...

Start here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35337

This is an overview of the main harness and is the same for all models (differences noted). For more specific info on the various circuits, you need the factory manual and look in the unit repair section, not at the somewhat confusing main diagram.

Just start plugging away, you'll get there....
                                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                                '82 XJ rebuild project
                                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                                '79F parts...
                                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                                X