Electrical Gremlins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Gremlins...

First off, this forum is awesome...every problem I've encountered, I've been able to track down with help from various members of this forum...

Last night I got my bike running better, with help from here on checking things in my carbs...now , for some strange reason, my oil light came on for awhile, then flickered off, and stayed off. Shortly thereafter, the bike shut down with no power what so ever, blowing a fuse. I replaced the fuse and rode it home. Riding to school this morning, the bike shut down. I was able to turn on the ignition and get power, no visible fuse was blown, but I could not get the bike started. The starter wouldn't engage. I jumped the solenoid with a screwdriver, and it started and ran for a moment, but when I pulled the screwdriver off it shut down. Now what?
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

Wolf these bike are notorious for electrical connection problems a little elbo grease and lubrication to make solid electrical connections will resolve most issues. Crazy Steve sent out a long writeup several times to assist in electrical problems I will send a copy as private message because of the length. Use this and the electrical info in the manual and you should be able to trace it down.

I am sure Steve will update this in the work he is doing.
    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
    1980 G Silverbird
    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
    1198 Overbore kit
    Grizzly 660 ACCT
    Barnett Clutch Springs
    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
    122.5 Main Jets
    ACCT Mod
    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
    Antivibe Bar ends
    Rear trunk add-on
    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

That the iggy only works when the starter solenoid is bridged shows the startup power to the iggybox works but the normal one don't. That hints that at least one of the multi-plugs in the harness acting up.
      The big white one where the 3 alternator wires plug into the harness can melt itself for a pastime. The rest of them can get dodgy too.
      Best you take apart and clean every last connector on the bike.
      And consider upgrading the fusebox to a TC unit, A 30 year old glass tube fuse set up is prone to malfunctions.
      Last edited by fredintoon; 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

How do I get the TC fuse box unit? Can I use a simple fuse box from an auto parts store? I wanted to ask before I did....
        79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
        Moto Militia MC

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
          Crazy Steve sent out a long writeup several times to assist in electrical problems I will send a copy as private message because of the length..
          All my 'troubleshooting electrical' posts are now in the 'repairs' forum...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Run a quick search on "fuse box." You'll get plenty of hits, and there's at least one good write up with pics floating around out there. You can PM TopCatGr58 (TC) for the upgrade fuse box. It's cheap and easy and WELL worth the investment. The fuse box can be had from other sources as well (mine came from Amazon) but you'll have to source the terminals separately. TC sells it all as a kit for the same price.
            My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

"...for some strange reason, my oil light came on for awhile, then flickered off, and stayed off. Shortly thereafter, the bike shut down with no power what so ever..."

JAT Could the engine be low on oil enough to shut the ignition off ?
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                JAT Could the engine be low on oil enough to shut the ignition off ?
                Hi John,
                there's no safety link between the low oil warning and the ignition.
                You could drain all the oil and run the motor until it seized if you wanted to.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by airborneXS View Post
                  How do I get the TC fuse box unit? Can I use a simple fuse box from an auto parts store? I wanted to ask before I did....
                  I just installed a fuse block on my SG. Bought it and all connectors from Lordco Auto Parts but I'm sure NAPA has the same stuff. Total investment about $12.00
                  1980 XS 1100 Special
                  Mostly stock & original
                  Added Yamaha fairing (w/ 8-track!)
                  Torpedo bags
                  New paint (still) pending
                  Stainless brake lines
                  Tkat forkbrace
                  Coils from Honda 1000

Previous bikes:
                  1968(?) 350 Harley Davidson
                  1977 Yamaha 650

Comment

Keeping it in the family

Last time I bought one from TC it was $10.00
                    mack
                    79 XS 1100 SF Special
                    HERMES
                    original owner
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                    SPICA
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                    IOTA
                    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                    Frankford, Ont, Canada
                    613-398-6186

Comment

WOW!!! So i started going thru the electrical, and right off the bat, i found that the P.O. had installed 20a fuses across the board...if im looking at the ORIGINAL fuse box, from left to right, its supposed to be a 30a, 10a, 20a and a 10a, correct?

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                      Moto Militia MC

Comment

jat,
                        check ur ballast resistor isnt faulty,
                        its located under the tank on the upper left
                        frame rail, it wouldnt affect the starter button, but when
                        u mentioned u cranked it over by the solenoid and then
                        wouldnt fire once u took the screw driver away, sounds like
                        it could be part of the problem, u can bypass the resistor to see
                        if its faulty by joining the 2 wires together.

this wouldnt affect the oil light, check that the wire is secured
                        to the oil switch tightly.
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

While the ballast resistor could cause that, it wouldn't cause the normal starter button to not work, but the run/stop switch could, and would cause the symptoms you describe as while the solenoid is jumped that switch is temp bypassed. It also IIRC bypassed a fuse or two, so that's something to look at as well, so with the other issues I would include cleaning the connections and replacing the fuse box. Many who have chased seemingly unrelated issues have found that replacing the fuse box made them go away.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Holy crap the po sucks!!!!

So this is what im starting with, doesnt look at all what the clymers manual says....AGHHHHH!!!!!! I want to punch this PO in the head, there is so much done completely wrong on this bike that Im like "WTF"!!!! I mean come on, any idiot can use google, thats how I found yall!!!!

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                            Moto Militia MC

Comment

It should look more like this:
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment