XS11H tail light lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11H tail light lens

Does anyone know where i can find Tail lens for my XS11H that has the clear lens on the bottom. I have bought a couple extra's and none of them have it.
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

PartsNMore has them, the ones you have are the '80-81 special versions....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Special version had a different light config. I guess. While i've got your attention will the 30 led 1156 bulb fit the rear tail lens I don't know how wide it will be, trying to get the brightest bulb back there.
      Thanks again Steve.
      Ed
      Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      PartsNMore has them, the ones you have are the '80-81 special versions....
      Last edited by Nubian; 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM.
      BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

The '80-81 specials had the taillight tucked up inside the grab bar behind the seat and a separate mount/light for the plate, so that 'license plate' area would have illuminated the fender, not the plate. It's the same lens, except they used a opaque red plastic instead of clear plastic in that area.

As to the LED fitment, I can't say. I'm not a LED fan for main lighting as they're just not as bright as conventional lamps; the automakers are currently going to even brighter halogen lamps for that, using LED as 'accent' lighting primarily. I personally feel that going to dimmer lighting while the industry is going brighter could lead to confusion on the part of other drivers ('I never saw his brakes lights officer...'). Unfortunately, those halogen are too 'hot' for use in our bikes as the higher temps these generate will melt the lenses (and use more power). One other issue with LEDs in the tallight is the lamp sockets don't point straight back; they're angled off to the sides, so you've got a off-axis light loss which doesn't help....

If I were going LED, I'd do something like this: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/320-341 ... but there's nothing purpose-built for the XS so you'd have to build/modify something to fit.

Just my .02....
        Last edited by crazy steve; 02-17-2012, 12:26 PM.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'm not sure how the bulb plug is configured in that particular lense, but the 1157 bulbs (Tail/Brake) at superbrightleds.com are designed to be the same size as the regular bulbs. Because most LED bulbs are directional, be sure to get the bulbs that point the light in the right direction. They have 90º bulbs for the angled locations (like the signal stems), and that may be what you need in the tail light location.

Just remember that the 1156 bulbs are only for when you want tail lights or running lights. If you want them to be brake lights too, you need the 1157's. I'm perfectly happy with the brightness of the LED bulbs myself, and I think the 2W LED turn signal bulbs are actually brighter than the OEM bulbs.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

crazy steve I checked partsnmore and they have the same lens part # for nearly all the xs1100. So I shot them an email inquiring about it. Will advise.
            BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Well I just noticed that the earlier 160mph speedo's use the BA9s bulbs but the 81 cluster's use the wedge type 158 bulbs. I ordered both but i'm hoping there isn't a real obvious brightness level between them. If so I'll have to hunt down an earlier rpm/fuel gauge.
              BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

lens

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
                Does anyone know where i can find Tail lens for my XS11H that has the clear lens on the bottom. I have bought a couple extra's and none of them have it.
                I think I've got the lens you want with the license light. I'll check over the weekend & let you know. Probly have the whole light, in which case I would want to sell it all at once. Anyway, I'll let you know.
                Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Hey Nubian,

You're moving too fast!

Steve, that's a rather PRICEY bulb array, but then again it's for a Harley!

Nubian, on Superbright leds, in the RV/BOAT section, look at the PCB type bulbs....separate 1157 sockets wired to loose bulb arrays that can be mounted inside the tail light lens...I hot glued mine into the tail lens!

Check out this page: RV/Boat lamps on Superbrightleds.com

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ther_bulbs.htm

1157-PCB-x36: 36-LED 1157 PCB Lamp

$9.95 ea, with either 15 or 100 degree viewing angle. Several colors, white/red/yellow!
                  •12VDC 1157 Base (dual intensity) with 1-1/2 square LED cluster
                  •36 LED lamp designed for restricted access and right angle applications
                  They also sell wired 1157 sockets that you can wire up to other bulbs....like the wide 56 array led bulb that I used in my 81Sh tail light...very wide!!! It's found on the TRUCK/TRAILER section. I cut off the RED sealing cover, the leds were RED anyways, and using the bikes tail light lens, you get the red/diffusor affect there, and the bulb array is protected INSIDE The tail light lens cover, so it didn't need the extra clear red cover! See the MODs Tech tips regarding LED tail and turn signals!
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
                    I believe all of the aftermarket lens look like this:

That's what Mike's XS sells and no XS650 has any need for that clear portion. All XS650 standards had round tail lights.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      I believe all of the aftermarket lens look like this:
                      If you go to ebay right now & put xs750 taillight in the ebay search, you'll find the lens you're looking for, brand new, buyitnow, free shipping for $9.99.

What a deal!
                      Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                      stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Working...
                      X