my build so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnRay View Post
    Here's the final paint. I silver leafed the Yamaha emblem on the side. I was going to airbrush it but I think it turned out better this way. You also can't tell but I have 6 coats of silver Pearl in their as well. I think I might pin stripe around the cove and emblem. Haven't decided yet. What y'all think?
    Very well done! I am a minimalist at heart, so I think the tank looks just perfect. But then again, if the pin-stripe is what it will take to make the bike your own...
    "What are you rebelling against?"

1980 XS1100 SG "Molly"
    The heaviest cafe racer around.

Comment

I bought the tank for 20 bucks at a swap meet. Don't know what it comes off of but the bung in it was the old harley style and I already had a roland sands cap that required a new style bung. So I made a deal with a friend for the the new bung it's a little off center by accident admittedly but came out nice anyway. Also I've decided to just pinstripe the inside of the emblem with white and the the outside of the circle with black. Just to clean the edges of the silver leafing up, and make the lines on it crisper. plus I'll be pin striping around the coves black to break up the lines from the white and gunmetal. I'll be finishing final assembly on it next week. Right now I have the motor in and front end on. I also painted the frame semi gloss black. It was just way too out of budget to powder coat. After all I only have about 1500 in this build to include the cost of the bike. The paint was actually one of the most expensive price tags but man does it flop in the sun with the 6 coats of pearl.

Comment

Here's some pics of the painted frame

Comment

bike

thats gonna be one nice cafe racer. love what you are doing. keep it up
          xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

I have been hunting for days, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give up the site you got those awesome switches from, I search for "micro switches" and all I find is buttons to mount to a circuit board, etc, I search for just "push button switches" and get big 19mm or bigger diameter switches! I am so frustrated with google/jealous of your build I am about to throw a tantrum like my 2 year old daughter. Don't make me kick and scream on the floor lol
            BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
            80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Working...
            X