Carb repair kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    Good to hear Phil..............but apparently jury still out as neither you nor James has offered any info whether the jets in those kits are Genuine Mikuni or not. I already know from experience that if trying to set carbs up stock, K&L jets WILL ruin that effort.
    MikesXS not genuine Mikuni, doesn't have the little square logo.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

That's good to know Phil. If their K&L's their lettering is large and easy to see opposite numbering on mains. Pilots, that lettering is still there, but bout as hard to disquingish as the size without some magnification help.........least for this ole' cuss..........
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

When I first joined the forum there was a bunch of il-talk about K&L kits. It just so happens that Georgefix uses K&L kits. For all the post and threads I have read on this issue before, I have determined that there was/is some sellers out there putting the N151 or VM style pilot jets into the K&L kits for our bikes. Those incorrect style jets will install very nicely and, once installed, appear to be the perfect jet. But, the bike will not run or run like total shight.

A member of the forum lives in Indianapolis posted once he could not get his carbs to run right after rebuilding them. He spent weeks on them. I popped in on him while I was passing through one day, took five minutes to find the N151 style pilots. He changed those out and it ran like a top.

I have installed nothing but Georgefix kits in all of the carbs I have rebuilt. And on the newer style carbs, I ALWAYS set the floats at 23 mm +/- .5 mm. (I have been told by another member here once that if I set them at factory the bike would never run right.) So far, I have yet to have any issue due to float height or jets after rebuilding a set of carbs. Soo...I will not make blanket statements and tell anyone that other kits are all golden, or total crap. I will only say what has worked for me, you decide for yourself what you want.

And if you buy from someone who post pics of a "Stock carb kit" and promises they will ship the right one though, be sure you know what the right items should look like, because I seriously doubt the seller does. THAT I believe is how folks end up deciding that anything but Factory made parts are crap.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

How 'bout These???

I just received these re-build kits and checked them against the one's GeorgeFix is selling and they are identical as far as piece for piece. Not bad price either

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Yamaha-XS1...item589222e5ae
          Current Rides:
          02 GL1800 Wing
          79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
          81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

One big thing, check the pilot jets for the correct number of air bleed holes in the side of the body. the correct number is 6. It should be 1-2-1-2 around the outside.

I got as set of those kits and my bike had a stutter that I couldn't figure out and that was it. The Napco (I believe that was the brand) pilots have 8 air bleed holes. 2-2-2-2. I put all the original jets back in and it runs great now.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thats the VM style I mentioned, 8 bleed holes instead of 6 in the BS30/96 style our carbs use. The N151 style have zero bleed holes.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                Good to hear Phil..............but apparently jury still out as neither you nor James has offered any info whether the jets in those kits are Genuine Mikuni or not. I already know from experience that if trying to set carbs up stock, K&L jets WILL ruin that effort and have you chasing your tail.
                Sorry, that's an example of British understatement when I said "I used Georgefix kits, which do not, I believe, have genuine Mikuni jets". What I meant was they don't! I checked them with a lens and there's no manufacturer on them at all.

Having said that, I suspect there are lots of poor quality kits out there and therefore, to some degree, I was lucky. As you've said, mostly the jets are reuseable but the problem I had was how crusty they were... I didn't want to poke them and prod them to get the stuff off and it was really bad. And I really wanted float needles and seats, so I thought it made financial sense to buy the kits. They were certainly 100% though..
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

These had 6 and they are for a 79 XS1100

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  One big thing, check the pilot jets for the correct number of air bleed holes in the side of the body. the correct number is 6. It should be 1-2-1-2 around the outside.

I got as set of those kits and my bike had a stutter that I couldn't figure out and that was it. The Napco (I believe that was the brand) pilots have 8 air bleed holes. 2-2-2-2. I put all the original jets back in and it runs great now.
                  Current Rides:
                  02 GL1800 Wing
                  79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
                  81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Originally posted by tv5150 View Post
                    These had 6 and they are for a 79 XS1100
                    Cool. The ones I ordered were advertised for a 79 XS1100 also.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I've probably done 10 sets of carbs in the last 3 years and have had to replace very few parts. Just be patient and remove everything carefully. I tend to take them down to individual carbs, remove all rubber bits, and soak them overnight in PineSol. Rinse them REALLY well, clean all the jets with a guitar string, do any polishing you want to do, and reassemble.

I do feel that Georgefix is a good source for kits and I always keep a couple of kits on hand just in case.
                      1995 KZ100P
                      Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                      Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

just ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-XS1100-...#ht_500wt_1156.

Figured enough of you vouched for the quality.

I have a question about the set screws that hold the choke bar. I can't seem to get them loose. Any ideas? I wont dare use the impact screwdriver there, and they sat with penetating oil on the for more than a day and still can not get them loose. if I have to totally "screw" them up to get them out do you think I should be able to find replacements? I bought all the other screws in allen wrench screws. This is a slow process right now as I do not want to damage anything as I am a total NEWB at this.
                        Rich (Ringo)
                        '79 XS11 Special
                        '02 VTX1800C (I know not a Yama but still mine)

Comment

Working...
                        X