• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb repair kit

Hey guys,

Found this while bored at work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-C...item33711e2c96

I have not started to take carbs apart yet, but was wondering if you think I should get something like this to make sure, or if in your experience it is not really needed.
    Rich (Ringo)
    '79 XS11 Special
    '02 VTX1800C (I know not a Yama but still mine)

My experience is limited, but my girl had been parked for 5 years and the carbs were nasty when I got them apart. Been into them twice and haven't even had to replace a gasket yet...just thoroughly cleaned and reused everything (although I did up the jets on my second entry.) YMMV
    My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

First, I do not think that kit is for a stock XS11 carb, parts look mostly wrong.

That being said, most of the bits in the XS11 carbs can be re-used...IF they come out cleanly. That tends to be a REALLY BIG IF for carbs that sat for years. The pilot jets down inside the tunnel will tend to get boogered up getting them out. Your 79 model should have the exposed mixture screws so they may not be much trouble.

the idea being that if the parts come out intact but dirty, you can get a can of Berryman's or whoevers carb cleaning dip and put all the jets, screws, washers, needles etc.. anything not rubber into the can and let it sit for a few hours or so and they will come out pretty dang clean. And reusable. IMHO, you should always replace the float needle valves and seats unless you know they are fairly new. Of course, the gasket is always nice to replace, but I have reused those as well.

Now, should you decide you want to get a kit and replace all the jets and such, THIS would be my recomendation for you. Dealt with Geaorgefix alot in fixing these bikes, and he always gets me the right parts.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

that link you posted, would I need one of those for each of my 4 carbs? gets kinda pricey huh?

EDIT: Never mind, I am stupid. I just actually scrolled down and READ instead of just looking at pictures, haha. My bad.
        Last edited by RJFort; 02-11-2012, 11:58 AM.
        Rich (Ringo)
        '79 XS11 Special

Comment

That price is for four (4) kits, so it covers all of your carbs.

Check your jet sizes, or if your using a 4-1 exhaust or POD filters, you may want different sized jets than the stock ones. If you order from George, send him a "question" letting him know what size jets you want instead and he typically will swap them out for the same price.

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            First, I do not think that kit is for a stock XS11 carb, parts look mostly wrong.

That being said, most of the bits in the XS11 carbs can be re-used...IF they come out cleanly. That tends to be a REALLY BIG IF for carbs that sat for years. The pilot jets down inside the tunnel will tend to get boogered up getting them out. Your 79 model should have the exposed mixture screws so they may not be much trouble.

the idea being that if the parts come out intact but dirty, you can get a can of Berryman's or whoevers carb cleaning dip and put all the jets, screws, washers, needles etc.. anything not rubber into the can and let it sit for a few hours or so and they will come out pretty dang clean. And reusable. IMHO, you should always replace the float needle valves and seats unless you know they are fairly new. Of course, the gasket is always nice to replace, but I have reused those as well.

Now, should you decide you want to get a kit and replace all the jets and such, THIS would be my recomendation for you. Dealt with Geaorgefix alot in fixing these bikes, and he always gets me the right parts.
            I agree with georgefix probably being a better idea for kits, but if you read down in that listing is says that's a stock photo, not a photo of the kit listed.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

yeah I caught my mistake a little too late. I added an edit in my reply. I am planning on keeping the double 2-1 exhaust but without the mufflers. I am going to take my time taking my carbs apart, as I have never done that before. I have the book and the interwebs at my fingertips so I will just try to follow directions fully.

The carbs look fairly decent at first glance after taking them off the bike. I just have not looked deeper just yet. The shop up the street has a dip tank for carbs. He wants like $50. Not sure how that ranks, but I figured I would need 2 cans of dip myself to be able to submerge the body of the carbs. I looked and they are $25 each with tax here in CT. Then I have to store them and I do not have a garage, so they go inthe basement where the cat can get to them. I also have to do the work in my basement as the bike is at my friends garage an hour away. the smell would get me in trouble with my GF. I will suck it up and pay this guy to dip them as it will cause less grief in the end.
              Rich (Ringo)
              '79 XS11 Special

Comment

I did not read that far Cy. I like my ads with big test size and lots of pictures. I figure if you can't put up a picture of what your selling me, then I do not trust you to sell me the right thing. Besides, what the heck is a "stock" carb rebuild kit?

Running these bikes on straight pipes (If I read that correct, is your intention) is difficult at best to tune the carbs. From all the experiments and tweaking I have read about folks doing n here over the years, I firmly believe these engines with stock exhaust and stock air box etc, provide the best setup for good power all the way through from low end to top end. Without some back pressure from exhaust, most folks never get them to run right. And those that do succeed seem to give up alot on one end or another to get it to run decent where they want it.

Anyway, changing the exhaust and going to individual filters (POD Filters), you will want to enrichen the fuel using bigger jets.
                Last edited by DGXSER; 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

That's why I agree with you that georgefix it the best bet for carb kits. We know he sends the right parts. These other guys in many cases unless someone else has already ordered from them already we don't know if they send the right stuff or not. I know geargefix is my preferred source for petcock kits. Then again right now I can't ride more than a few miles yet without my right foot trying to go to sleep, so I'm still not happy, and the fool didn't even carry enough insurance to cover my emergency room bill. Sure made me glad I've got uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on my bike policy, but I'm going to raise my limits .
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Rebuild kits, no matter what the source if not sold with Genuine Mikuni mains and pilots will get you nothing more than a ill-running nightmare that will cause you to chase gremlins somewhere else, electrical, etc., which in alot of cases the primary, secondary ignition systems should of been checked with a meter initially first anyways. Either way, unless the jets, mains and pilots have the funny little square with the inner tail loop(Mikuni insignia) scribed in them, your all intended good work is a waste at best and you'll be chasin' either a pilot or main circuit running issue till it's properly corrected with correct manufacturer jets.
                    Last edited by motoman; 02-11-2012, 03:02 PM.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      Rebuild kits, no matter what the source if not sold with Genuine Mikuni mains and pilots will get you nothing more than a ill-running nightmare that will cause you to chase gremlins somewhere else
                      You've said that before and I responded before..... I used Georgefix kits, which do not, I believe, have genuine Mikuni jets. I used four kits from gerorgefixand it transformed my bike from an ill-running nightmare full of gremlins into a real beautiful runner with tan plugs, great performance, instant starting and 100% reliability. That's been over a year now and still perfect. Never one, not one, misfire. I can do 30mph in 5th gear and it doesn't miss a single beat. No coughs, splutters, dead spots, sticky spots. It was like that from the minute I put the carbs back on.

Presumably, you've used georgefix kits or similar in the past and had an unhappy experience with them? Maybe I was lucky? All I know is that I found the Georgefix kits excellent
                      Last edited by James England; 02-11-2012, 04:39 PM.
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

the idea being that if the parts come out intact but dirty, you can get a can of Berryman's or whoevers carb cleaning dip and put all the jets, screws, washers, needles etc.. anything not rubber into the can and let it sit for a few hours or so and they will come out pretty dang clean. [/QUOTE]

Berryman Corp has assured me, in writing, that their carb/part cleaning liquid factory part number 0996 will not harm rubber internals when submersed/soaked in their product (0996). Other of their products will damage internal rubber.

It's available in gallons at Walmart. Or, for about $10.00 a can more, at your local auto parts store.
                        Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                        stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post

Presumably, you've used georgefix kits or similar in the past and had an unhappy experience with them? Maybe I was lucky? All I know is that I found the Georgefix kits excellent
                          Never have James, but I do know Mikuni uses a flow formula to designate the number size. Have measured hole size of an equal K&L and found them to be approx. 2 to 3 steps larger in Mikuni sizing, plus backside internal taper angle is a bit different. Rather that backside taper has an effect on flow, haven't a clue. Glad to hear the George-fix kits have been a working option. Having said that, the post was mostly for the benifit of several newbies here, and may save them alot of future grief getting there scoots running properly and save alot of guessing here when a jetting issue arrises.
                          Last edited by motoman; 02-11-2012, 05:05 PM.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Just to add, the jets from MikesXS work perfectly too, pilot and main.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Good to hear Phil..............but apparently jury still out as neither you nor James has offered any info whether the jets in those kits are Genuine Mikuni or not. I already know from experience that if trying to set carbs up stock, K&L jets WILL ruin that effort and have you chasing your tail.
                              Last edited by motoman; 02-11-2012, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X