Leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaks

I have a small oil drip from the end of my cam chain tensioner. The leak isn't coming from the block to tensioner seal but rather out of the small cap at the end. Anybody have this issue? Any tips on how to fix it or resources to get a new one?

I also wanted to ask if TopCat is still making those nifty spin-on oil filter adaptors. Looks slick. If so, I will happily supply cashola for less headaches and good old American ingenuity.

Lastly I wanted to say thanks to everyone on the site that contributed to the awesome tech tips/articles. I did the MikesXS coil swap and it's great. It's also been a great continual resource for not having to just dive in and figure stuff out. It's a great way to scout before entering dangerous territories. So, thanks!
    1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

This is a very common problem on the OEM CCT. There is a little plastic covered bung that fits into the CCT and they often leak. There are a few options like remove the bung with a fine screwdriver or blade, clean the whole area and the bung with alcohol to degrease it, then use RTV gasket compound. When I had an OEM CCT which did the same thing, I cleaned it and used 'chemical metal' round the little bung thing.

Another option (which I and many others have done) is to remove the CCT entirely and fit an automatic CCT from a Venture 1300. Unlike the OEM, this requires no adjustment and it has a non-return ratchet to stop the spring-loaded plunger from being forced loose under hard deceleration. I've had mine on for months and find it's great. (see several of the CCT threads)

The little oil weep/leak from the OEM CCT may be small but, when tootling along at a few mph, you'll find the oil gets everywhere... into the fins, through them onto the starter motor case etc etc. You're far better off getting it fixed immediately
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I have done a bunch of work to the bike in the last month, just spent a couple hours cleaning it yesterday. I began noticing the crud buildup last year. You're right, it gets all over and quick. I hate scrubbing fins too. I went through two toothbrushes yesterday and half a bottle of purple power.

I'll check into the 1300 Venture swap. Thanks for the quick reply!

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Do your search as Cct swap it may bring more results but every bike I have has one and I have a few that want it. I think I have 4 here but they are all spoken for. One of the best swaps available IMHO
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

+1 for the A-CCT, It won't develop leaks over time like the stock unit is prone to, just make sure you do some reading first about the pitfalls of removing the tensioner unit from the engine.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I just read a thread by James last year. My only concern would be a chance the cam chain would slip itself out of timing, BUT, if it were that loose I'd think I'd have bigger problems, like valves in my crotch and/or pistons. Neither prospect sounds delightful.

I just ordered a new ACCT. Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it. Now to PM Top Cat about those killer spin-on adapters...

Comment

Working...
            X