No announcement yet.

Wheel bearings again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James, are these the OEM NTN or KOYO made bearings or are they knock-offs?
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
      James, are these the OEM NTN or KOYO made bearings or are they knock-offs?
      They're not OEM. I presume by "knock-off" you mean pattern parts (as opposed to the meaning over here, stolen)? I put one in the wheel of my own bike and it's been fine so far. OEM ones are few and far between although I've seen one once or twice on eBay....if your existing bearing packs in, I think there'd be quite a long wait to get an OEM bearing..
      Last edited by James England; 02-15-2012, 02:26 PM.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Oh, OK, yeah "pattern parts". That would explain the lower cost. Thanks.

Comment

Knock offs over here mean copies of an original.

Originally posted by James England View Post
          They're not OEM. I presume by "knock-off" you mean pattern parts (as opposed to the meaning over here, stolen)? I put one in the wheel of my own bike and it's been fine so far. OEM ones are few and far between although I've seen one once or twice on eBay....if your existing bearing packs in, I think there'd be quite a long wait to get an OEM bearing..
          BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
            Oh, OK, yeah "pattern parts". That would explain the lower cost. Thanks.
            I thought, you thought they were stolen....

But, since OEM are unobtanium, I presume you mean "price lower than those at which NOS OEM's are usually sold"? Even then, given the scarcity (somewhat alleviated by the efforts of a certain England), I've only ever seen those on eBay. My OEM bearing was loose when I inspected it and I'm relieved to have got any make of replacement for it, to be frank. Anything's better than my bike off the road or the siamese twin roller bearing option!
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Ha!, no I didn't think they were stolen BUT I have seen those OEM nos ones go for north of $70. There are a few around, I know Speed and Sport in Bloomsburg, PA has a few at $89

A couple of years ago I was able to do a group buy and bring in 20 of the NTN NA5904's but we couldn't get them for less than 40-something each and had to wait for the slow boat from Japan, took 3 months IIRC. Apparently they do run some now and then, but it's a crap shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                Hi Folks

Success. I've managed to get 30 more rear wheel bearings, as I'd hoped for. They will be shipped to me from Japan on Monday and should be here at the end of next week, beginning of following week. That's if UK Customs don't interfere with it.
                I'll confirm arrival and then be able to get bearings out to those people who want some.
                I'd like to get in line for one this time. I want to make sure I have a spare on hand for future needs.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

On the way Monday

The bearings are due for despatch to me on Monday, apparently. Air shipping, so I should have them soon. Please, everyone, keep your fingers crossed that UK Customs don't start messing with the package like last time. If there's no import duty, they'll be cheaper. I've extended a collective thank-you to Hakubun Hirokawa-San of Tsudanuma! Arigato gozaimash1ta

Comment

Further update

Hi Folks.

A quick update. The box of bearings (33 of them, I think) were collected yesterday and are now in transit to me. It's DHL Worldwide so, hopefully, they will be here late this week or early next week.I have the list of people who've PM'd me (or posted in this thread) and will start at the beginning (in sent order) until they run out. Fair? That's assuming they get here OK, of course.

If anyone wants one saving, please PM me if you haven't already done so....

Comment

I would like to get 2 bearings. I need on to replace the worn out one on my MNS I'm restoring.
                      The 2nd one for my everyday rider.
                      Do'Lee
                      XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
                      (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
                      (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
                      (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
                      SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Originally posted by Do Lee View Post
                        I would like to get 2 bearings. I need on to replace the worn out one on my MNS I'm restoring.
                        The 2nd one for my everyday rider.
                        OK, got that. I checked tracking this morning and they are on the way to me. They might be here by the end of this week, depending on customs behaviour. Got you on the list and I'll PM you when they get here

Comment

Working...
                        X