Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearings again

Hi Folks.

There's a possibility that I can get some more of the rear left wheel bearings from Japan, same as last time. Nothing like the 100 I had made last time though...probably no more than 30 of them. By the time I get them here to the UK, they will cost $31 each. Worldwide postage would cost $4 airmail small packet to any destination and it'll be the same shipping cost for two bearings as for one.

Last time, after 99 of them were sold, I had quite a few e-mails from people asking if I had any left. If anybody would like me to save one for them,, just PM me and I'll keep you informed re progress!
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Bearings

Hey James,
    I don't need a bearing yet but what the heck, having a spare on hand would be a good idea.

Don S.
    Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider62 View Post
      Hey James,
      I don't need a bearing yet but what the heck, having a spare on hand would be a good idea.

Don S.
      OK Don. Have PM'd you. I think a spare is always a good idea. Particularly so on parts which are generally unobtanium.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I'd like to have one on the shelf as well. I'll eventually need it, as I'm sure they're all original on my ride. $35 seems a bargain for something that's basically "impossibru" to find.
        My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRedbeard View Post
          "impossibru" .
          That was funny! I'll put one aside for you if I can get them...

Comment

is this for the wheel itself or the FD bearing?
            Rich (Ringo)
            '79 XS11 Special
            '02 VTX1800C (I know not a Yama but still mine)

Comment

Originally posted by RJFort View Post
              is this for the wheel itself or the FD bearing?
              It's the left hand side rear wheel bearing.... it fits into the wheel and is a caged needle roller bearing which, it would appear, were made solely for use in the XS1100 since nobody has them and there's no known other use for them. They're a weird size and not found on any other motorcycle, as far as I am aware.

These bearings very occasionally crop up on eBay as NOS and I've seen them go at $75+. If this bearing wears out through neglect (they are easily forgotten and languish ungreased for decades) or breaks up, the bike becomes unuseable safely and the rear wheel quite quickly starts damaging the remaining bearings at the back end of the bike. There have been numerous threads here about trying two ball bearings side by side etc but nothing does it properly and long-term except the caged needle roller bearing. There's a minimum manufacturing run of 5,000 units but last year I managed to get 100 of them specially made in Japan through an ex-student of mine pulling a favour. I may be able to get a few more but am not sure yet.
              Last edited by James England; 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

oh. would it be ok for me to put in an order for one too since I have to go through the bike. Was thinking of replacing all bearings, cables and wires, to make sure everything works properly. when do you require payment?
                Rich (Ringo)
                '79 XS11 Special

Comment

Thank you Sir! May I please have another
                  BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by RJFort View Post
                    oh. would it be ok for me to put in an order for one too since I have to go through the bike. Was thinking of replacing all bearings, cables and wires, to make sure everything works properly. when do you require payment?
                    Hi. Only when/if I can get them. I'm working on it at the moment I'll get as many as they have left after their inventory check

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
                      Thank you Sir! May I please have another
                      You certainly may, My Liege. That's in the happy event of me getting them.... hopefully I will......

Comment

James, put my name on one as well please.

Thanks
                        Brian
                        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                        remembering the same thing!

Comment

Update

Hi Folks

Success. I've managed to get 30 more rear wheel bearings, as I'd hoped for. They will be shipped to me from Japan on Monday and should be here at the end of next week, beginning of following week. That's if UK Customs don't interfere with it.
                          I'll confirm arrival and then be able to get bearings out to those people who want some.

Comment

That's great news! I don't even know that I need one, but it sounds like you need to grab these when you can.

Comment

that is excellent. good news.
                              Rich (Ringo)
                              '79 XS11 Special

Comment

Working...
                              X