X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gl1000?

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    Hmmmmmm............I'm befuddled

None of this looks like what I have to mount my stuff.

Greg those look like they might be for a Honda. The shape of the bags are just like some I had from a CB750. Didn't have all that shiney stuff, though.
    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Hi Nate,
      A Second attempt. See the picture of the shock mount shows where the original aluminum failed and had to be replaced with a steel plate. There is a fair amount of strees on the mounting points so make them good and strong. My idea is to use Aluminum angle say 2" x 2" or even bigger and attach one to the bike using the upper shock mount and either of the rear attachment points on the frame. The second piece goes upsidedown on to the first after it has been attached to the Ammo Box. A cross brace at the back to join the two boxes for latteral support and from the rear foot peg to the front of the box for forward support. In as close as is practical and as far forward as possible too.
      Restraing lines for the lids so you do not have to go back for them when they come open at speed. Hope that all makes sense.
      Phil
      Last edited by MaximPhil; 02-11-2012, 10:38 PM.
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Nate, I was changing my shock springs today and I snapped a few photos of my luggage brackets.....

2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hi BikerPhil,

I like your L bracket idea. Much neater than coming off the foot peg.
          MaximPhil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Is that a home made setup Phil or is it how that set was designed?
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              Is that a home made setup Phil or is it how that set was designed?
              Yep, it's all home made, bags are held on by two bolts on the top and one on the bottom for lower support bracket. They come off in a couple minutes if needed to service the bike, strong as hell too. My modified trunk/rack can also bolt right on in <5 min to this set-up.

Thanks Phil, yep I didn't like the original bag brackets, too complicated, plus the bags(right one) were too low for use of my 4-1 Kerker.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 02-13-2012, 08:43 AM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
                Greg those look like they might be for a Honda. The shape of the bags are just like some I had from a CB750. Didn't have all that shiney stuff, though.
                those look the same as the ones on the 1980 Goldwing gl1100 interstate sitting in my garage right now.... not kidding looks JUST like em....
                Don
                1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I have a nos set of bates mounts for the xs11. I didn't use them because one of the brackets goes on the exhaust pipe. If I feel up to it in the next few days I'll shoot some pics and post them.
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

Working...
                  X