X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petejw View Post
    the only problem with that is that if both cams are still attached to the
    head and u only turn 1 cam at a time u run the risk of bending more valves
    as the cams arent being turned together at the same time.
    So watch the lobes and don't turn an open valve across another open valve on the same cylinder.

It's rhetoric anyway though....the head will still have to come off at some point to replace whichever valves ARE bent. Might as well just yank it off and look.
    My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

the only problem with that is that if both cams are still attached to the
      head and u only turn 1 cam at a time u run the risk of bending more valves
      as the cams arent being turned together at the same time.
      If the pistons are all half way down the cylinders and not moving, you can move the camshafts all you want and not worry about hitting anything. You are already going to have SOME damage, just rotate it the right way to not do any more to get them all half way down.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
        If the pistons are all half way down the cylinders and not moving, you can move the camshafts all you want and not worry about hitting anything. You are already going to have SOME damage, just rotate it the right way to not do any more to get them all half way down.
        hi cy,
        its not the fact that the valves will hit the pistons, but if u
        move the cams independantly of each other u run the risk of
        the valves hitting each other, more than likely hes bent valves
        but until he knows for sure, why risk it.

hi jason,
        ur right it is a mute point, he will need to remove the head,
        but u mentioned u could rotate the cams, i just stated if u did that
        u run the risk of the valves hitting each other.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

hi cy,
          its not the fact that the valves will hit the pistons, but if u
          move the cams independantly of each other u run the risk of
          the valves hitting each other, more than likely hes bent valves
          but until he knows for sure, why risk it.

hi jason,
          ur right it is a mute point, he will need to remove the head,
          but u mentioned u could rotate the cams, i just stated if u did that
          u run the risk of the valves hitting each other.
          Yup, natemoen found that out the hard way. And the head was already off the engine.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Yup, natemoen found that out the hard way. And the head was already off the engine.
            I even had the forethought to place the head up on blocks to prevent the valves from hitting the table...just didn't think about the other valves.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate, et tu brute`? BTDT myself during my original rebuild in 2000. Had the head off, had done the valve lapping, thought it was a good time to check the valve clearances so put both cams in! Turned one, checked clearances, then turn the other, found excessive clearances..thought I had bent it against the table it was on! Replaced that valve, put the head on, torqued, timed, etc, then did a compression check just for S & G's, found 0 on 2nd cylinder! Had to tear it down. Found the opposing valve that had gotten slightly bent when it had hit the previous valve that got obviously bent! I THEN learned/realized that the valves WILL hit each other if they come out at the same time! Replaced that valve, and was good to go!

So....yes, turning the cams not in synch/time with each other can lead to MORE bent valves!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I did find that if you set the opposite cam in the right position you can rotate the other 180º without hitting valves. At least on the early heads with smaller valves. I haven't tried it with a late one.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I wonder if that would happen on the 78E valves, given the intake valves are smaller diam than the later models?
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I did find that if you set the opposite cam in the right position you can rotate the other 180º without hitting valves. At least on the early heads with smaller valves. I haven't tried it with a late one.
                    Sorry....I meant 360º.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                      I wonder if that would happen on the 78E valves, given the intake valves are smaller diam than the later models?
                      78 & 79 are the same. 80 and up have the larger intakes. Nates engine is a 78.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

As Greg pointed out, nope doesn't work.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                        X