broken cam chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken cam chain

on my 79 xs11s as i was driving cam chain broke. pulled cam cover off no marks on sprockets or cams. my question is what kind of internal damage can i aspect ? thanks for any info before i start to tear down .
    Joe Bjordahl
    “speed don't kill it’s the sudden stops”
    Yamaha xs1100 are addictive
    1979 XS1100S
    1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
    1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

At the very least you can expect some bent valves, so you'll need to look for a good used head (the valves are long discontinued...). You may have damaged the pistons as well, you'll see that with the head off. Worst case, the cam chain may have 'balled up' around the crank sprocket and broke the cases.

This will require careful checking and maybe a major teardown.... sorry...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Oh dear! That's a bad thing to happen and it's 99.9% likely that you'll have bent valves, if not holed pistons and possibly damaged cylinder bores too if any bits of piston have broken off. It's a kind of 'everyone's nightmare' type incident. Sorry about that. As Steve says, you'll need to do a careful stripdown with the head off.

Complete cylinder heads, with valves and camshaft and everything, can be had on eBay for a good price. I've seen them go for $50 in the UK once or twice. Get one from a low mileage bike. If your pistons and bores are OK, you'll not need to take the barrels off (can be tricky). All you'd need is a new head gasket. It's not a difficult job, so all is not necessarily bad.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

If you check your valve clearances, the ones that have huge numbers will indicate the bent valves.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey Phil,

I would think it would be difficult to check the valve clearances with the cam chain BROKEN!? And trying to rotate the cams or crank to get the lobes to their lowest points could drive pistons into stuck valves as well!

I'm assuming that when you pulled the valve cover off you found NO chain running across/along the cam sprockets...just bare cams/sprockets!?

SCARY!! Yep, a good look at the bottom end for damage to the crankcase for sure, but once the cams stopped turning when the chain slipped off, you may have only bent 1 or 2 valves?? Good Luck, let us know what else you find!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I thought the '78 and '79 motors had the same valves as the 750/850 motors and were still available? Even if they're not making them any more, I'm betting you could score what you needed off the triples site if all you find (Very hopefully) is a broke chain and some bent valves. Lap 'em, shim 'em, install new chain and go. If the head gasket isn't delaminated and comes up cleanly, I've even re-used those with absolutely no problems. I know that drives some real mechanics crazy since they've had it pumped into their heads all along that you HAVE to replace a head gasket, but the only difference I've seen between a good used one and a new one, was that I didn't have to go back and re-torque all the head nuts after the first heating cycle. It's already pre-squished. You aren't sealing any water jackets with these head gaskets.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
              Hey Phil,

I would think it would be difficult to check the valve clearances with the cam chain BROKEN!? And trying to rotate the cams or crank to get the lobes to their lowest points could drive pistons into stuck valves as well! T.C.
              Yep, TC you're right.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Check with Geezer for valves. He gets 'em in polished stainless steel. Price is right too. They work great. You'll want to change all 4 if any on a side are bent, because they flow better than stockers. He only sells sets of 4.
                1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Tod is right, the '78-79 valves can still be bought new from Yamaha, but you'll choke at the price; $52 each for the exhausts, and $64 for the intakes... Cheaper to buy another motor...

Geezer is out of the valve business, so that source is gone....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

This place says they have the 78-79 intake valves, but not the exhaust...

http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/mo...ts/valves.html
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

That's a lot better than $64!

'82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        I would think it would be difficult to check the valve clearances with the cam chain BROKEN!? And trying to rotate the cams or crank to get the lobes to their lowest points could drive pistons into stuck valves as well!
                        Gonna have to argue you on this one TC. Turn the crankshaft 90 degrees off TDC and all four pistons will be halfway down the bores. At that point you could turn the cam by the hex machined into it without worry of piston-valve contact. This is a method I commonly use on car engines...I see no reason it won't work here. Just don't force the crank....you don't want to bind the chain at the bottom and crack the case, as mentioned earlier.

Excessive valve clearance will indicate warped/bent valves. Looking in the cylinder with a borescope using a right-angle adapter works well too, if you have access to that sort of thing.
                        Last edited by JasonRedbeard; 02-10-2012, 08:28 PM.
                        My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRedbeard View Post
                          Gonna have to argue you on this one TC. Turn the crankshaft 90 degrees off TDC and all four pistons will be halfway down the bores. At that point you could turn the cam by the hex machined into it without worry of piston-valve contact. This is a method I commonly use on car engines...I see no reason it won't work here. Just don't force the crank....you don't want to bind the chain at the bottom and crack the case, as mentioned earlier.

Excessive valve clearance will indicate warped/bent valves. Looking in the cylinder with a borescope using a right-angle adapter works well too, if you have access to that sort of thing.
                          Now there is a good point and would let you know how many valves got killed, which would tell you how much damage you may have. Your still going to have to pull the head, but if you only have one bent valve (if all but one valve is in spec you most likely only have one bent valve (and would feel really really lucky)) you would likely only look for one valve rather than a head, but if you had 4 bent valves I know I wouldn't bother looking for valves at all, just go for a head right off.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRedbeard View Post

the only problem with that is that if both cams are still attached to the
                            head and u only turn 1 cam at a time u run the risk of bending more valves
                            as the cams arent being turned together at the same time.
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots
                            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                              the only problem with that is that if both cams are still attached to the
                              head and u only turn 1 cam at a time u run the risk of bending more valves
                              as the cams arent being turned together at the same time.
                              BTDT.............dont try this one at home kids.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X