Battle report from the LED front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle report from the LED front

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for putting up with me the last few days. As a few of you know working on this bike is not something I entirely enjoy. Most things can be replace, reproduced, or replicated. This bike can not. So i worry about FUBAR every time I touch it...

Now here's tonights findings. I took everything apart and found a suspected weak ground in my rear wiring. So i grounded everything up to a good chassis spot. I installed T.C.'s fuse box and then started testing things.

If I have a standard 1157 in the lower tail/brake and standards in the front running/turn spots I can put the upper rear (tail/turn/brake) LED's in and have everything working just fine with no feed back. I can swap out 1 front 1157 with an LED the side with the LED (when triggered for blink) everything works normal. When I trigger the side with the 1157 all flash like hazzards. NOW if install all 4 LED's my current draw goes down... the indicator light on the gauges barely flashes and all 4 flash like hazzards. If I run the front LED's and rear standard 1157's I get flash feed back.

My conclusion is my next problem for blinkers is the front. Would suspect load resistors across those 2 should solve that problem to run the LED's or keep standard bulbs in there.

NOW if I install my tail/brake LED (stock one on rear fender) and leave the upper LED tail/turn/brake in and standard front 1157 in I get feed back thru the rears untill I apply brake. while the brake is lit up all works as normal. I would assume if I install a load resistor across the lower rear LED it "should" solve this problem... BUT i would think it would need a resistor across the running side not the braking side.... correct?

Please note we have not got to the diodes in the "indicator" light in the gauge cluster and the tail/brake/oil bulb is still lit while the lower rear LED is in. Those issues I will get to later. Right now I'm just trying to get the turns to work right.

any input welcome

Thanks again....
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Hello. I installed leds on the front turn signals. On my FJ1100,
    when I changed the rears to a smaller non-led I did have to add resisters
    Because the combo won't tigger the signal relay. Worded great afterwards.
    Good luck
    Keep the shiny side up
    1979 XS1100SF
    Mac 4-1
    Drilled airbox Uni filter
    Vmax bars
    Virago 1" shorter shocks
    30K miles
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...429_135845.jpg
    1981XS1100SH
    '80 G Forks and Triple Tree
    '80 G tank
    Mac Turnouts
    Virago 1" shorter rear shocks
    SH Headlight
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6adaae1.jpg
    61 Wife
    83 Son
    86 Son
    89 Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by tweeleft View Post
      Hello. I installed leds on the front turn signals. On my FJ1100,
      when I changed the rears to a smaller non-led I did have to add resisters
      Because the combo won't tigger the signal relay. Worded great afterwards.
      Good luck
      thanks... I can get the no load electric flasher to signal now... It's just figuring out which other Gremlin's to expose to sunlight

when the load resistors get here I'm gonna mock up 1 in each front and put the LED's in and see if it licks the problem. if not we start looking deeper. this has been a learning curve I was not expecting. I use to think I was good @ electric problem solving. I may have to give my Lincoln Electric Rep back the shop smock he gave me for working on welders in the shop @ work.... As I'm getting upended by 33 year old 12v DC circuits
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
        (Please note we have not got to the diodes in the "indicator" light in the gauge cluster and the tail/brake/oil bulb is still lit while the lower rear LED is in. Those issues I will get to later. Right now I'm just trying to get the turns to work right.

any input welcome

Thanks again....
        Until you install those diodes for the indicator light or remove it from the circuit, you're going to keep having the 'feedback' issue.... trust me.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          Until you install those diodes for the indicator light or remove it from the circuit, you're going to keep having the 'feedback' issue.... trust me.
          +1!!!! You need to do the diodes and only then can you continue to troubleshoot. You can't properly troubleshooting when you have a known absolute issue that has not been addressed!

DIODES FIRST THEN MOVE FORWARD!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            +1!!!! You need to do the diodes and only then can you continue to troubleshoot. You can't properly troubleshooting when you have a known absolute issue that has not been addressed!

DIODES FIRST THEN MOVE FORWARD!
            yes... this is the 1 thing I've yet to do. I thought about it last night while laying in bed that I didn't unplug the cluster to take it out of the equation and test. It was a long day.... I'll stop by radio hack today and pick up a couple diodes. I'm gonna assume any 12v diode will work?

anyone got any thought on how to get the tail/brake/oil light to go off with my LED in the lower housing? its on for tail light. when I grab the brakes it goes off. maybe remove the singnal wire for the "tail" warning out of the equation?
            Don

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Ok before leaving for work I went out and pulled the indicator bulb and put all the LEDs in and still had all 4 flashing @ once. Checked my front sockets and wiring, pulled the socket connector on the left side apart and the ground connector crubbled in my hands. Fix the connector. Left the indicator bulb out of the warning cluster and Woohoo!!!!! we have blinkers and no feed back.

Will get the diodes in as soon as I get an extra set of hands in the garage to help me pull the vetter out of the way.

Once I get that all buttoned up I can beat my head against the tail light warning light staying on due to led tail light

Thanks everyone for the continued kicks in the ass to get me in the right direction.
              Don

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I have all of my bikes running with LED brakelights, but I have found that running regular bulbs at either the front turn signals or the rear makes everything happy. I do use electronic flashers. I tried to make the rear turn signals (dual and red LEDs) light-up with the brake light but I just couldn't make that happen - even with the trailer conversion unit. The way I figure it, I save on amps.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                  I have all of my bikes running with LED brakelights, but I have found that running regular bulbs at either the front turn signals or the rear makes everything happy. I do use electronic flashers. I tried to make the rear turn signals (dual and red LEDs) light-up with the brake light but I just couldn't make that happen - even with the trailer conversion unit. The way I figure it, I save on amps.
                  Skids,

The way I got all 3 in the back to live together with the trailer box is I scotch locked into the factory brake signal wire going to the factory tail light on the power in side of the box. that way it still acts independently upon itself. the trailer box on the from car side has 1 brake light in wire I scotch locked this wire to my factory brake wire and did the same for the tail light wire. like I said this allows the factory brake light to work independently and the trailer box is just drawing from it to fire the 2 upper lights.
                  Don

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I scotch locked them
                    Oh how I hate those little things!!!!!!!

The number of trailers I have had to rewiring because someone didn't do it right!!!

Ok, I am good now
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      Oh how I hate those little things!!!!!!!

The number of trailers I have had to rewiring because someone didn't do it right!!!

Ok, I am good now
                      I know I'm not a big fan of them either... but sometimes they are a necessary evil
                      Don

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I know I'm not a big fan of them either... but sometimes they are a necessary evil
                        Amen! Here is where I will, if the person in charge demands to use them, urge said person to put a dollop of silicone sealant, the type Ford uses in all it's connecters, in the connecter before closing it up. And then wrapping it tightly with self healing rubber tape, and then saying a pray to the deity/deities of your choice, and then not riding in wet weather. Might last a year or two that way. CZ

Comment

Working...
                        X